Extra organs found in body

Reyn

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 12:50 pm
Quote:
Extra organs found in body

A MAJOR investigation has been launched at a Dublin hospital after the remains of a British tourist were sent home containing two hearts and four lungs.

The organs were discovered inside the body of 55-year-old Louis Selo during a second post-mortem examination in the UK.

Mr Selo, from New Malden in Surrey, died of a massive heart attack at Dublin Airport on 2 August.

Mr Selo hit the headlines five years ago when he flew his son to Australia for extremely rare brain surgery.

Two hearts and four lungs? That sounds pretty quirky.

At first when I saw this story I thought it was an under-handed attempt at organ harvesting somehow.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,044 • Replies: 12
No top replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 01:13 pm
weren't they?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 03:26 pm
Hospital to probe organ blunder
littlek wrote:
weren't they?

Kris, it's a bit unclear to me exactly what's happened here. I just found a 2nd story on this which goes into more detail. On reflection, it appears to me that the Irish hospital must have been performing more than one autopsy at the same time, and somehow the the organs of the other operation were put into this fellow, probably by two different people!

Truly bizarre!

Quote:
Hospital to probe organ blunder

03/09/2006 - 22:51:49

A major investigation has been launched at an Irish hospital after the remains of a British tourist were sent home containing two hearts and four lungs.

The additional organs were discovered inside the body of 55-year-old Louis Selo during a second post-mortem examination in a UK hospital.

Mr Selo, from New Malden in Surrey, died of a massive heart attack in a taxi at Dublin Airport on August 2.

The former Standard Chartered Bank worker, who hit the headlines five years ago when he flew his son Sebastian to Australia for extremely rare brain surgery, had been on holiday with his wife Anna.

An initial post mortem examination was carried out at Dublin's Beaumont Hospital.

Days later, when his body was flown home for burial, it was re-examined by a pathologist, standard procedure when a Briton dies overseas.

The pathologist discovered a number of extra organs were stitched inside his corpse, inside a plastic viscera bag.

A coroner reported back to the hospital that major irregularities had been uncovered.

A spokesman for Beaumont Hospital confirmed that the internal investigation could result in disciplinary action.

"What happened should not have happened and we express our deep regret to those affected," he said.

"The hospital got in touch with both families the moment we became aware of the situation.

"A high-level inquiry is currently underway at the hospital and we expect the finding of that to be available shortly.

"It could lead to disciplinary action."

Mr Selo, a father-of-three, is said to have been a well-respected member of the British Jewish Community.

In 2001, he made regular appearances in the press as the media followed the progress of Sebastian, then aged nine.

In 2004, he attacked Merton social services, claiming that the council had failed his disabled son.

Today, Mr Selo's mother, Laura, told The Sunday Tribune that the family's grief was unimaginable.

"The problems with delays after Louis' body came to us meant that we could not bury my son until two weeks after he died," she said.

"It was very distressing to us all."

Mrs Ann Selo told an Australian newspaper after her husband's death: "He was our rock and life will never be the same without him."

A devastated Mrs Selo said there was no warning that her husband had a heart condition.

Mr Selo was taking his wife and Sebastian's twin, Monica, 14, on holiday to Dublin.

"In the taxi on the way to our hotel I started singing: 'In Dublin's fair city, where the girls are so pretty, I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone.'" Mrs Selo told the paper.

"Louis was sitting in the front of the taxi and he joined in."

Suddenly, Mr Selo stopped singing.

"The next thing the driver was calling the emergency department of the local hospital and he drove like a maniac to get us there within minutes," she said.

"As Louis was being taken inside I asked him to give me a sign he could hear me, but he didn't respond. I knew then it was serious," she said.

Beaumont Hospital carries out around 300 post-mortem examinations a year.

The spokesman added that staff were able to establish who was the original owner of the spare organs by checking what other autopsies had been carried out around the same time, and then by checking the results of pathological tests.

The extra organs found inside Mr Selo's body have been returned to the owner's family in Ireland and buried in a religious ceremony.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 03:28 pm
"EXTRA ORGANS FOUND IN BODY" is the thread title.

I came in here, thinking that one of our A2K ladies had had a threesome or something.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 03:31 pm
Reyn - that's what I would have guessed (or something like that, anyway).
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 03:33 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
"EXTRA ORGANS FOUND IN BODY" is the thread title.

I came in here, thinking that one of our A2K ladies had had a threesome or something.

Well, you've come to the right place. That's happening three threads down. :wink:
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 03:56 pm
Where? Where?

Link man...and quick!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 05:12 pm
http://home.online.no/~warnckew/other-side/gallery/threesome.jpg
0 Replies

Chaplin

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 06:45 pm
Is this another Plato?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 04:11 pm
I'm a bit baffled as to how or why they would have given him extra organs. Something is not right here. I guess I didn't have to say that.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 05:16 pm
See my explanation above.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 05:23 pm
Extra organs?

I could have sworn one of the arguments on one of the ID threads was that in order for there to be evolution then we have to have proof of extra organs.

Hallelujah, this story proves evolution exists.
0 Replies

rhymer

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 05:56 pm
I kidney not!
Have a Heart!
As a liver eye nose of a few Churches that would be glad of an extra organ!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Extra organs found in body
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/24/2024 at 12:41:55