Benefits of the action against Iraq.

dyslexia

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 06:12 pm
so good to know North Korea is mellowing: Seoul, South Korea-AP -- North Korea is heating up the rhetoric, even as a congressman says the communist nation may be willing to bargain.
A state-run newspaper today is slamming a U-S plan to strengthen troops along the Korean border. It implies the build-up is a precursor for nuclear war and says the U-S is using North Korea's nuclear program as an excuse to invade the country.
American officials say they are concerned about Pyongyang's stockpile of nuclear weapons -- and are trying to talk the nation into disarming.

Meanwhile, Pennsylvania Congressman Curt Weldon says Pyongyang may be ready to put its nuclear programs on the bargaining table. Weldon is vice chairman of the House Armed Services committee and has just returned from meetings in Pyongyang.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 06:16 pm
Frank
Quote:

Don't you think Bush would have a lot harder time starting another war over nothing than he did the last time?

I certainly think so.

My guess is that the powers that be in North Korean and Iran think that also.

No and disagree!
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 06:19 pm
Au!

Stop teasing me!

I thought you agreed with Frank!?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 06:24 pm
Sofia wrote:
I remember news rports before the war, wherein NK demanded unilaterla talks with the US, and refused to talk to China and others about their nuclear proliferation.

Yes, I remember the Koreans saying lots of things. The one-on-one talks was an attempt on their part to negotiate with the person worth negotiating with.

NK needs us to warm to them more than they need all the others combined.

One-on-one talks was a demand that was transitive. Before that multi-lateral talks were not out of the question.

My point was that accepting talks is not a big step for North Korea, they are desperate and have been eager to talk for some time.

If we put economic aid and a non-agression treaty on the table there is a good chance that they will comply with our demands.

It's worth noting that relations between North Korea and all countries were improving before the Bush administration.

South Korea was angry at our hardline.

Caveat: while relations were improving the issue of nukes was not.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 06:26 pm
Sofia
When hell freezes over.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 06:28 pm
I agree with Frank in one point.

I think a military option against North Korea is not something that will be threatened unless Korea does something to alter the status quo.

Whether or not NK thinks so is another question. They feel far more threatened by the US than I think they should.
0 Replies