Do you suffer bag-lady syndrome?

Reyn

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 09:50 pm
Quote:
Do you suffer bag-lady syndrome?

Many women harbor a fear that their financial security could disappear in a heartbeat. It might not be entirely irrational, but it can be conquered.

You would never confuse Emily Scott Pottruck with a bag lady. On the surface, she has it all: independent wealth, a mansion in San Francisco's Presidio Heights, fancy cars, an M.B.A. from Cornell, years of experience on Wall Street and a successful husband, David, the former CEO of San Francisco's Charles Schwab Corp.

But inside, Pottruck suffers from "bag-lady syndrome," a fear many women share that their financial security could disappear in a heartbeat, leaving them homeless, penniless and destitute.Do you need
life insurance?

"I wouldn't say I thought I would be homeless," Pottruck says. "What I was concerned about was that I wouldn't be able to pay for things like health care, or have any kind of discretionary income, or that I would be really old and have to continue working at a high pace and there would never be a moment that I could relax."

Bag-lady syndrome plagues, puzzles and, in more extreme cases, paralyzes women who want to get a better grip on their financial lives, according to Olivia Mellan, the author of "The Advisor's Guide to Money Psychology" and a Washington, D.C., therapist who specializes in money psychology. Lily Tomlin, Gloria Steinem, Shirley MacLaine and Katie Couric all admit to having a bag lady in their anxiety closet.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 525 • Replies: 13
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 09:55 pm
Oh, bullshit. I have lived at the edge of bag off and on for years and am now exploring its crevices.
Suddenly a seeming affluent person catches on?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 10:00 pm
You keep'n your greedy hands off my stuff, Reyn, and you won't have to find out about the syndrome the hard way.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 10:03 pm
Reyn

I have absolutely no sympathy with rich folk "suffering" these new found anxieties. I am the real article (not much job security at all & not remotely rich!) & live very well, if I do say so myself! It's all about making the best of what's available to you. That simple. Optimism, or something ....
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 10:11 pm
Never mind bag-lady syndrome. Have you noticed the I-need-to-worry-about-something syndrome? People who have more money than I will see in a lifetime still need to worry about something or they don't feel "fulfilled" (whatever that means). I think they secretly feel guilty about having so much more than the rest of us and so invent totally phony things to worry about, such as "But I could lose it all tomorrow." Not bloody likely.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 10:13 pm
msolga wrote:
It's all about making the best of what's available to you. That simple.

Nice sig line. :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 10:17 pm
<sniff> "What if I can't afford my regular afternoon caviar snacks next week? Will I cope?"

They should get out into the community & do some useful support work, or something. See how real people live. Too much navel gazing!

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 10:21 pm
Nods to Merry et al.

Geez, louise, they're all quite dim.

Perhaps they'll set us up investment accounts...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 12:54 pm
I'm thinking maybe this thread is politically incorrect.

Shouldn't it be bag-person? What were they thinking? Shocked
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 01:18 pm
I think alot of people worry, from time to time, about these things. I know I do. **** happens.

So they've finally come up with a label for it. Big whoo. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 01:34 pm
I can't believe it's just a female thing, even assuming it's a thing. E.G. has said "I'm gonna die in the gutter" often enough that we've discussed it being the title of his autobiography after he wins the Nobel prize... ;-) Seriously, he worries about this stuff way more than I do. (We've had more and less reason to worry, now medium.)
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 01:45 pm
I knew a "bag lady" in Boston who used to camp out near my building. Whenever I saw Mary I'd give her a dollar. I found out that everyone gave Mary a dollar when they saw her. She was quite charming though always in need of a bath. It turns out she had a room in Boston she had been living in for 35 years. When she died authorities were surprised to find she had over $500,000 stuffed in her closet. Eventually a sister whom she had not spoken to for over 30 years claimed the prize.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 02:00 pm
Nice story, Nick. :wink:
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 03:04 pm
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Do you suffer bag-lady syndrome?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 06:33:43