Looking for a Book

mcsalsa

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 10:39 am
I have some trouble finding a book. My father read it to my brother when he was younger, but he can't remember the title. I was wondering if anybody could help me. The book is about this boy who runs away from his parents and lives on the streets. Years later he comes across 8 Mile (I presume), the line which seperated the whites from the blacks back in the day. He, himself, is white and is looked down upon when he crosses into the black side, but he doesn't know what's wrong. There's something more about the plot, I can't quite remember. I do know that he is given a gigantic ball of string, a knot actually, and nobody has ever mastered to untangle it. It takes him two days to untangle it and so he wins a year supply of pizza. But he's allergic to peparoni, or cheese.. or something that was on the pizza. I also remember that he was taken in by a woman, she asked him why he never slept on the bed she gave him. He said he preffered the floor because of all the years he's slept on the street. He said the bed felt like "mashed potatos."
This book could be from six, to ten years old. If any of this information rings a bell to anyone, please respond. Thank you for your time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,202 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 10:46 am
First off, welcome.

Second, do you know where this book takes place?
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 11:06 am
Found it - it's Maniac Magee.

From Amazon:
Maniac Magee is a folk story about a boy, a very excitable boy. One that can outrun dogs, hit a home run off the best pitcher in the neighborhood, tie a knot no one can undo. "Kid's gotta be a maniac," is what the folks in Two Mills say. It's also the story of how this boy, Jeffrey Lionel "Maniac" Magee, confronts racism in a small town, tries to find a home where there is none and attempts to soothe tensions between rival factions on the tough side of town. Presented as a folk tale, it's the stuff of storytelling. "The history of a kid," says Jerry Spinelli, "is one part fact, two parts legend, and three parts snowball." And for this kid, four parts of fun. Maniac Magee won the 1991 Newbery Medal.
0 Replies

mcsalsa

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 05:37 am
Wow... Thank you so very, very much! You're my hero. I've been looking for that book for years now... Thank you!
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 08:24 am
No problemo, glad I could help. Research for things far and wide is my specialty Wink
0 Replies