Springsteen: The Seeger Sessions

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 10:48 pm
This is a CD of mostly familar folk songs like This Land is your Land, Shenandoah, Froggie Went a courtin, Erie Canal also some less familiar, to me anyway like the spirituals O Mary Don't You Weep and Eyes on ther Prize.

I must say, the first time I listened, hearint The Boss do this material was a bit disconcerting. But tghe more I listened, it just grew on me.

As I started out as a folksinger, I started playing most of the songs on the CD plus some other old folk and bluegrass and Hank Williams that I had known but not played for years. I know almost all of Hank's popular reportoire.

I just recently started gigging again. My audience generally consists of young to middle aged lesbian women. These are people who, in San Francisco, mostly would consider sophisticated cosmopolitans. Well, much to my surprise, they love this old tyme music. I mean it blows them away. (Especially the Hank stuff!)

Then I also do most of Tracy Chapman's stuff, sneak in my own songs and am learning some Tori Amos stuff and even some James Blunt and Dixie Chicks.

Right now I am solo. I am thinking of putting a trio together, maybe an all girl group. I can't decide if I want to go acoustic, like me, a fiddle and maybe a bass player or myself and my Strat and a bass and drummer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 497 • Replies: 1
No top replies

McTag

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 01:05 am
Good for you, Roxy.

I went to a concert Pete Seeger gave at the St Andrew's Halls, Glasgow, about 1961...and that wasn't yesterday.

It was amazing.
0 Replies