Reyn

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 09:44 pm
Quote:
If it's August, it must be Christmas
Retailers push key shopping season ever earlier

By JEFF GAMMAGE
Philadelphia Inquirer
8/27/2006

It's that special time of year again, when the first plush Santas, singing snow men and blown-glass Christmas ornaments begin to appear on store shelves.
You know. August.

What, you find it hard to muster yuletide spirit when you're wearing a bathing suit?

Well, too bad.

At T.J. Maxx in Norristown, Pa., 2-foot-tall Santa figurines are already watching over a clutch of silver stocking-hangers, wooden-soldier nutcrackers and glittery tabletop trees. A few doors down, at the Dollar Tree, Frosty snow globes wait near the cash registers, not far from a selection of red-and-green ornaments.

At the Cracker Barrel Old Country Store in Plymouth Meeting, Pa., a full-size Christmas tree is up and shining. Below its boughs, a toy Santa blows a saxophone, though it's hard to hear his version of "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" while a nearby mechanical snowman is crooning "Jingle Bells."

"It's a retail mentality that you need to be first out of the gate, and people keep making the race longer and longer," said William Cody, managing director of the Baker Retailing Initiative at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School.

Labor Day, Columbus Day and Halloween, much less Thanksgiving, are now mere speed bumps on the highway to Christmas, folded into the 115-day month of Septoctnocember.

Researchers call it "Christmas creep." That's shorthand for the ever-backward march of the holiday retail season.

"It burns me up," said Carter Lee, who is raising two daughters with her husband, Peter Maas, in Haddonfield, N.J. "It makes me want to go the other way. It makes me not want to buy anything."

It's not that malls are decked in garlands. If last year is a gauge, that won't happen until Nov. 1, followed three weeks later by the arrival Santa and his crew. It's that Christmas accoutrement are being set out while people are still slapping mosquitoes.

Hallmark stores have offered ornaments for weeks - puppies peeking from woolen mittens and Eskimos fishing from ice floes. Some Hallmarks are displaying collectible Byers' Choice cloth-and-clay carolers.

"It's over the top," said Claire Daniels, of Springfield, Pa. "I would never, ever, positively never buy a Christmas item in September or August. On principle."

The pitch for other holidays comes early, too. Halloween candy has been in grocery stores for weeks, raising the question of why anyone would want to serve, much less eat, a three-month-old Snickers bar.

But experts say the Christmas season starts earliest because it's crucial to retailers.

In 2004, shopping malls took in $227.8 billion - 28 percent of their annual sales - in November and December, according to the International Council of Shopping Centers. If a retailer can boost its take by getting customers in the holiday mood earlier, it's worth it.

The question is whether the jump-start results in increased sales - in which case Rudolph may someday appear arm and arm with the Easter Bunny - or whether it only spreads the same dollars over a longer period. No one has a definitive answer.

"To the extent that you, the retailer, are there, and your competitor isn't, you may grab a few extra dollars," said Stephen Hoch, chair of the marketing department at Wharton.

The danger, he said, isn't just in turning off consumers, but in becoming a prisoner to that promotion. One way retail sales are measured is year against year. If going early brought in extra dollars last year, a store is almost forced to go out as early, or earlier, this year.

Cracker Barrel put up Christmas displays on Aug. 1. Terry Maxwell, senior vice president of retail of the Tennessee-based restaurant-store chain, compared them to the previews before a movie, a way to offer "just a little hint of the coming season."

He wouldn't disclose figures, but he said Cracker Barrel has found that having Christmas items out in summer generates additional purchases, not just early ones.

"We're doing quite a bit better than what we anticipated," Maxwell said.

Analyst Stephanie Hoff, who follows big retailers such as Target, Wal-Mart and Macy's for the investment firm Edward Jones, said the economy has forced stores to speak up early.

Last year Wal-Mart accelerated its start, to early November from late November, and other chains followed. They saw their lower-income customers being battered by rising gasoline prices and home-heating costs, Hoff said, and sought to "capture some spending" before folks were tapped out.

This year those stores will probably do the same, she said. And others will, too.

So what's that? You don't want to think about winter yet? You'd like to wait until the back-to-school sales are over?

Sorry. Get out your parka and pass the eggnog. There are only 120 shopping days left until Christmas.

Bah, humbug!!! Mad Mad Mad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,109 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 08:08 am
I always do all my Xmas shopping on Dec. 24. If I see an "impulse item" while strolling through a mall, I might get an early start and actually buy something on the 23rd. If I were to buy something in Novemeber (never mind earlier) and store it away for delivery later, by 25 December I would have no idea where I stashed the blasted gift item.

Bah humbug is right, Reyn.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:06 am
We have very much gone the other way. We have very much scaled down Christmas. We don't buy each other gifts at that time. I tell my wife she is welcome to get what she wants, and she gets herself a little something.

Mainly, we buy small gifts for our kids and a few relatives, and that's it.

The whole season is so far out of hand it's crazy.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:25 am
If I save a pound a day from now on the money I save up will cover the presents.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 10:00 am
You mean to tell me that I can't buy a frikken rain coat in Oregon because it is "out of season" but I can buy Christmas decorations!?

I typically don't Christmas shop at all. There are a few people that I buy for and I'll pick something up any time of year if I see something quirky that I think would suit them. Mostly I give photographs as gifts and my lab delivers them to my front door.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 10:23 am
You bast**d, reyn!

I've been avoiding the C word!

x
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 10:38 am
My C word alarm has just gone off so I rushed here as fast as poss, but I see I was raising my hopes for nothing.

Damn!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 01:54 pm
smorgs wrote:
You bast**d, reyn!

I've been avoiding the C word!

x

Glad to be of service. :wink:
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 02:07 pm
What?

Christmas?

Rolling Eyes

Im soooo glad I am not a big christmas person.

Well, I will be for jillian.
She will get stuff.. but thats about it.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 02:13 pm
Shewolf,

Listened to a brilliant programme (radio) about Pagan and Druid buriels, would you like the link?

x
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 02:31 am
Maybe we could change religion just before Christmas so we can avoid celebrating it.

Do any of you actually celebrate the birth of Jesus?
I cant say I do. I just see it as a nice time were you get together with loved ones and eat great food.Not a bad thing even tho its not the primary intention.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:37 am
material girl wrote:
Maybe we could change religion just before Christmas so we can avoid celebrating it.

Do any of you actually celebrate the birth of Jesus?
I cant say I do. I just see it as a nice time were you get together with loved ones and eat great food.Not a bad thing even tho its not the primary intention.

Changing religions won't save you, material girl. Today everybody gives presents and puts up horribly tasteless trees in their living rooms at about the time of the Winter solstice.

December 25 has absolutely nothing to do with the birth of Jesus. Never really did, despite the insistence of the church fathers. It is Yule, it is Saturnalia, it is the turning of the year back towards light, away from a time of darkness. In the Northern hemisphere it has been thus celebrated for centuries before the time of Jesus. The new Christian church hierarchy couldn't stop the people celebrating this most pagan of holidays, so they decided that this must be when Jesus was born.

There is absolutely no reason to think that this is true. In fact, if a believer takes the Gospels at face value, it's quite clear that Jesus birth could not have occurred in Devember (Kislev in the Jewish calendar). The New Testament states quite clearly that on the night of that birth there were shepherds tending their flocks at night. It is well-known that sheep were customarily not night-herded during the winter months. There's not enough pasturage. The tradition was to keep all animals stabled from Rosh Hoshana to Passover, then let them out to night pasture for the Summer.

Christmas today is the biggest consumer ripoff ever perpetrated on a gullible buying public. The appeal to buy is universal. They appeal to the religious-minded with creches and nativity scenes, to the non-theistic with jolly grinning Santa Clauses and various guises of Father Christmas (another ancient Pagan symbol from the days of Norse raids on GB), They appeal to the shopping addicted with the usual come-ons and they appeals to one's cupidity by appealing to a certain strain of altruism in all of us -- the desire to please, to give.

Don't get me started. I could go on for pages.

Bah, humbug in spades.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:43 am
Well, redistribution of wealth/ misrule has ancient origins, too.

I usually make a fair amount so I've actually been thinking about this stuff even before this article. Takes a while to make stuff and I hate the last-minute dash (though it seems to happen often, anyway).
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 08:51 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Don't get me started. I could go on for pages.

Bah, humbug in spades.

I'd love to get you started and give this thread some spice!

I learned - in spades - from your post. Laughing
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 10:13 am
I think i'll get a bumper-sticker printed:

Put the X back in Xmas !
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 01:01 pm
Let's just call it a "Generic Holiday". Laughing
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 120 shopping days left until Christmas
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 04:18:37