All-Female Oil Changes

Reyn

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 06:22 pm
Quote:
All-Female Oil Changes

EASLEY, S.C. -- On Highway 183 (at Highway 135) in Easley, the oil change business is getting a makeover. Dipstick Fastlube is like most other shops, except the only men you will see are customers.

"We get a lot of male customers. I'm not gonna lie about that," said Lori Miller, owner of what she calls the nation's first all-female oil and lube shop.

Miller opened her shop in April, and has serviced more than 1,200 customers.

She and her staff of four other women are certified Pennzoil technicians who perform a variety of automotive services.

But there is an occasional doubter.

"The customer this morning, he goes, 'You do know what you're doing, right?' I go, 'No. We put the oil in the gas tank," Miller said jokingly.

Make no mistake, the majority of customers at Dipstick Fastlube in Easley are men.

"Everyone likes to see the good-looking technicians," one said.

"You can't complain. Can't ask for more," said another.

But men aren't the only ones who can be found getting their oil changed at this all-female business. Miller says she has regular women customers, like Meredith Smith, an English Teacher at Pickens High School.

"She's not going to take advantage of me and tell me lies. 'I need this done and I need that done,'" said Smith.

There is no mistaking Miller's oil and lube business for any other. A red lip-smack adorns the sign out front, and there are lip-shaped chairs in her lobby.

The store has performed so well since it opened, Miller says she wants to open a chain of all-girl oil and lube shops, where the majority of customers will likely be men.

"We have a guy that shows up everyday and buys a drink out of our machine. We have a lot of that actually," said Miller.

Quoted from above:
Quote:
"She's not going to take advantage of me and tell me lies. 'I need this done and I need that done,'" said Smith.

Why is it a guarantee that just because the garage is run by females that no funny stuff will ever go on? There are only male crooks in our world?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 816 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Tico

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 07:18 pm
Quote:
Why is it a guarantee that just because the garage is run by females that no funny stuff will ever go on?

A long anecdotal history of being ripped off by male mechanics.

Quote:
There are only male crooks in our world?

No. However, I think you'd find that there's a much higher porportion of male inmates to female in any prison system.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 07:21 pm
I'd get my oil changed at Lipstick Fastdude anytime.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 07:32 pm
Tico wrote:
No. However, I think you'd find that there's a much higher porportion of male inmates to female in any prison system.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I'm not defending businesses run by males, by the way. It's just that no one should assume that just because a business is run by a female that everything is necessarily on the up and up either.

Trust no one is my motto. Better to be paranoid and keep your hand in your pocket at all times.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 07:50 pm
So what have ya got against women?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 09:55 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
So what have ya got against women?

Absolutely nothing. As a matter of fact, I'm married to a wonderful one.

What I'm not too enamoured with is the idea the necessarily the sex of a person determines their honesty, or lack of it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 10:05 pm
OH. I just threw that in. Actually, I haven't even read the thread.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 08:51 am
Trouble-maker! Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 10:15 am
There is a famous radio program on National Public Radio called Car Talk, with two jokers from Boston who, among the constant joking, give good advice about people's car problems. They once conducted a test in which they sent a man out with a car and a script about the problems he was having. He visited dozens of Boston-area mechanics, and was given estimates, and even had few offer to fix it for free. The same car was sent out with a woman with the same script, and she visited the same mechanics. She was told she would need repairs worth hundreds of dollars, and was often only grudgingly given an estimate, and one shop even told her to take her business elsewhere because she insisted on a written estimate. Anyone with any sense knows that mechanics usually (but not always) make a religion of ripping off women.

I've seen women working in oil change shops, national chains like Penzoil and Jiffy Lube on many occasions, and used to frequent one Jiffy Lube which had a woman for a manager. There is also in Columbus, Ohio, a business called Alternative Car Care, which is staffed exclusively by women, and they make a very good living, because women go there to avoid being ripped off by male mechanics.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » All-Female Oil Changes
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 10:28:15