Taller people are smarter

Reyn

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 06:10 pm
Quote:
Taller people are smarter

NEW YORK (Reuters) - While researchers have long shown that tall people earn more than their shorter counterparts, it's not only social discrimination that accounts for this inequality -- tall people are just smarter than their height-challenged peers, a new study finds.

"As early as age three -- before schooling has had a chance to play a role -- and throughout childhood, taller children perform significantly better on cognitive tests," wrote Anne Case and Christina Paxson of Princeton University in a paper published by the National Bureau of Economic Research.

The findings were based primarily on two British studies that followed children born in 1958 and 1970, respectively, through adulthood and a U.S. study on height and occupational choice.

Other studies have pointed to low self-esteem, better health that accompanies greater height, and social discrimination as culprits for lower pay for shorter people.

But researchers Case and Paxson believe the height advantage in the job world is more than just a question of image.

"As adults, taller individuals are more likely to select into higher paying occupations that require more advanced verbal and numerical skills and greater intelligence, for which they earn handsome returns," they wrote.

For both men and women in the United States and the United Kingdom, a height advantage of four inches equated with a 10 percent increase in wages on average.

But the researchers said the differences in performance crop up long before the tall people enter the job force. Prenatal care and the time between birth and the age of 3 are critical periods for determining future cognitive ability and height.

"The speed of growth is more rapid during this period than at any other during the life course, and nutritional needs are greatest at this point," the researchers wrote.

The research confirms previous studies that show that early nutrition is an important predictor of intelligence and height.

"Prenatal care and prenatal nutrition are just incredibly important, even more so than we already knew," Case said in an interview.

Since the study's data only included populations in the United Kingdom and the United States, the findings could not be applied to other regions, Case said.

And how tall are the researchers?

They are both about 5 feet 8 inches tall, well above the average height of 5 feet 4 inches for American women.

What a load of cobblers!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 554 • Replies: 14
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 06:22 pm
I've got to say, 'huh?'.

Maybe it's a New Jersey thing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 07:03 pm
So, Magic Johnson is smarter than Einstein?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 07:05 pm
And not just that; the taller candidate has also won the larger number of votes in ten of the 13 US presidential elections since World War II.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 07:06 pm
nonsense, the air is thinner up there, lack of oxygen affects brain function
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 07:07 pm
nimh wrote:
And not just that; the taller candidate has also won the larger number of votes in ten of the 13 US presidential elections since World War II.

I remember reading about that.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 07:27 pm
I don't believe in studies.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 07:32 pm
i'm glad i'm making 6 ft - when in high-heels Very Happy Exclamation
hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 07:40 pm
Well, I wouldn't mind reading this study.

Did they do a double blind IQ test?
Kidding, mostly.

It may be that in some cultures early height is rewarded with increased attention to the baby, who thus gets a head start. Surely I don't know. I somehow doubt highly that whatever gene segments deal with height also affect intelligence. I suppose it's possible that some hormonal compound affects both growth and savvy. Yawn, I doubt it. Maybe nutritional differences, within a heritage group, affect both height and feed the brain.
Still, I question the correlation...

not least because in my own life at least six of the most brilliant people are very short... and not related to each other. And I know a lot of tall fools.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 07:44 pm
What a bunch of hooey! And I don't say that just because I'm vertically challenged.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 09:52 pm
hamburger wrote:
i'm glad i'm making 6 ft - when in high-heels Very Happy Exclamation
hbg

Does it matter if one's wearing a dress with those high heels?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 12:17 pm
I'm going to watch people for a while and see what size the smart ones are. I'm 5' - 9 1/2" and smart in some ways and truly dumb in others.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 12:57 pm
Is that with or without a pointy hat, Edgar? Laughing
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 01:51 pm
I knew it!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 02:55 pm
Texans don't wear pointy hats. That's our boots that's pointy.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Taller people are smarter
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 06:47:43