Orkut - what is it all about?

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 01:10 pm
I've tried several online communities, but I'm not satisfied with most of them. Myspace is horrendous, livejournal is ok, but no one's on there... friendster is kinda childish...

So what is Orkut like? I'd check it out myself, but you have to get an invite.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,144 • Replies: 21
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 02:23 pm
IMO, they're about as different as are Coke, Pepsi, and RC colas - matter of taste, I suppose.
0 Replies

EmilyGreen

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 02:43 pm
Alright then, point heard. I'm still hoping to hear from someone who uses orkut to provide a slightly more detailed description. Smile
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 07:51 pm
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 07:56 pm
Just wanna make clear I figger that sorta stuff is fine for folks who go for it - I don't, and thats just me.
0 Replies

EmilyGreen

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 12:33 pm
spidergal wrote:

How can I get an invite? I'm not necessarily asking you for one, but I just don't know anyone in it right now. I'm wanting to move my friends to something worthwhile.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 08:22 pm
Well, if you are lucky one of your friends will voluntarily send in one some day but if you are sorta dying to get into Orkut, you can ask around on the forum. You already have this thread running and have attracted one Orkutian already. :wink:

If you like, I can send you an invite. But I will need your email. I see that you can't send PMs and you wouldn't post your email in here either.

Hmm, so that leaves us with the only option -- I'll PM you with my email. You can reply. And so on....

If that is fine with you, I have no problem. I got a Gmail invite in a similar way. Smile
0 Replies

EmilyGreen

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 03:38 pm
spidergal, if you're able to pm me, that would be cool. If not, I'll keep looking around. I'm not too hip on posting my email address. Thank you, you're very sweet Smile
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 12:43 pm
Just PMed you.
0 Replies

EmilyGreen

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 03:59 pm
Thanks! I emailed you just now. You're so sweet to help me out. Very Happy
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 07:14 pm
Hah! Now, your avatar really gives me a big laugh! Laughing
0 Replies

pararover

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 10:23 am
Well, i have been using orkut for quite some time, and i have found it very satisfying. i have managed to get in touch with 8 of my long-lost friends in a single day. the best part of course is 'scrapping'...no, its not chatting...can't explain, you've got to experience it for yourself. and yeah you can view pics of your friends(if they have uploaded any)
0 Replies

EmilyGreen

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 01:55 pm
Well, I tried it and its kinda boring. I'll keep the account, just in case anything new is done to it.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 02:20 pm
EmilyGreen wrote:
Well, I tried it and its kinda boring ...

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/7309/gomer1oq8.jpg
Surprise, surprise, surprise!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes :wink: Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

EmilyGreen

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 03:31 pm
Well, hey, I had to at least try Very Happy
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 05:23 am
Too much spam. Too much spam. I like A2K better Mr. Green
0 Replies

pararover

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 06:57 am
After 120 friends on Orkut, I agree with Spidergal...Orkut is a total waste of time, money and energy. Scrap is equivalent to Spam.
thank you SpideyGal, A2K rocks!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 10:55 am
Orkut, generally speaking, is not a bad place. What I was referring to as spam is the unsolicited messages people keep forwarding all the time, and the advertisements that occupy a major portion of the forums. I now only go in there on weekends, have unjoined most of the communities as I felt they were not serving the purpose they were meant for. There are no intelligent discussions, only inexplicable spanish/french ads spanning the forums. Nevertheless, I still think, there's no harm in peeping in now and then to catch up on the old friends with whom you have no other way
of keeping in touch. No doubt, it's a boon for recent school pass-outs like me. I was fairly active on there during late August, the time of my joining, but since then I have limited my activity.

A problem I perceive among people is that they tend to get addicted to this thing. Some of them have made it their mission to be the most popular on the site - make the most number of friends etc. Addiction to the Internet is as harmful, if not more, as addiction to drugs.

Recently, I was reading a report in TOI, wherein they discussed how obscenity is entering Orkut and how some folks are using the site to stalk others. And all that security blah, blah. That was a big put-off for me and it came at a time when my friends were bugging me to post my pics on the site. Of course, after reading about the woes of some girls whose pics were ....(well, you get it, don't ya?), I have decided never ever to post mine.

Yesterday, they made another improvement to the site. It's going "join for free". Can't see how that is going to help them.

Oh, and India is getting mad about Orkut, that's a fact -- and it isn't a good thing. Anyways, let's hope people will co-operate in "keeping Orkut beautiful".

Happy New Year!
0 Replies

pararover

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 09:09 am
Hear! Hear!
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 06:17 am
Hearing! Hearing!
0 Replies