Miserly Burger King charges hurt kid for ice

Reyn

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 05:22 pm
Quote:
Miserly Burger King charges hurt kid for ice

By Jennifer Roy/ Daily News Tribune
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - Updated: 10:35 AM EST

Ice does not appear on Burger King's menu, but it should after a Newton teen limped into the Moody Street fast-food restaurant last week looking for some cool relief of a sore ankle.

John Michael Jasset staggered into the restaurant about 5 p.m. last Thursday after being hit by a car. He was thrown from his bike and also scraped his knee, arms and hands, his mother, Cheryl Jasset, said.

But when he asked for some ice to put on his ankle, he was told he had to pay for it.

The charge: 99 cents, plus 5 cents for tax. That's the price of a small soda.

"I'm never going to Burger King again," John Michael said.

The 16-year-old Pond Street resident said that right after the accident, he exchanged information with the driver, picked up his bike, called his friends - who hadn't seen the accident and rode ahead - on a walkie-talkie and hobbled into Burger King to nurture his injuries.

A sign on the door gives the cost of a bag of ice, but Jasset's mother says they should have just given it free.

"It's outrageous," Cheryl Jasset said. "He wasn't dripping blood or anything, but his knee, arms and hands were cut."

She said she has tried to contact the local Burger King, but has gotten nowhere. She's called the company's corporate office, too.

So far there has been no apology from the fast-food giant.

No one answered calls from a reporter at the Moody Street restaurant Monday. Officials at Burger King's corporate offices in Miami did not return calls, either.

"I'm never going to go to Burger King again," Cheryl Jasset said, echoing her son. "He was scared. No one helped him."

John Michael Jasset said he was afraid to ask for ice, so his friend did. The friend then paid for it because John did not have cash.

He said the cash-on-delivery ice didn't even help much, but his ankle feels better now. The driver of the car that hit him saw his two friends but not him, he said.

Cheryl Jasset said a language barrier was evident at Burger King on the night of the incident, and has been in the days since.

"There has to be some comprehension because you're dealing with people all day long," she said.

She said she just wants answers and an apology.

Insurance, she said, will cover her son's medical bills.

It won't get his friend's $1.04 back, however.

What a dumbass outfit! The bad press that's going to be generated out of this will cost them a heck of a lot more than $1.04.

Isn't BK one of those fast food chains that love to be seen as charity-giving and all that?

I guess there was no immediate photo-op with this story.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,994 • Replies: 22
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 05:57 pm
Playing devil's advocate here, What would happen if Burger King gave ice to every hurt person that came around? Pretty soon, it would look like a scene from Gone With the Wind, with casualties as far as the eye could see, all wanting free ice. And, "Oh, my friend who's three miles away playing video games has fallen off the stool and now needs ice." There ain't that much ice in the city.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 06:17 pm
It wasn't burger kind so much as the counter person/manager, right? Still dumbass.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 06:29 pm
Edgar's right.

They need to start charging for the napkins too, and salt packets.

Someone whose sister is home with a sore throat could just waltz in there and take salt packets, to mix with warm water for her to gargle with.

What about the people who come in just to use the bathroom? Toilet paper ain't free you know....AND they might be taking warm water from the rest room to mix with the stolen salt.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 06:49 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
What about the people who come in just to use the bathroom? Toilet paper ain't free you know....AND they might be taking warm water from the rest room to mix with the stolen salt.

Don't think for a minute that you're not already paying for that!

To me, if these restaurants like BK and McD are going to be all charity participating and all, it was a stupid thing to do. I'm betting the person that did it is getting their butt kicked - firmly.

Public perception / trust is worth a lot.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 06:53 pm
What if they gave him ice, and he slipped on it and busted his head on BK's floor? He'd probably sue, because they forgot to warn him this could happen, in writing, with his signature, notarized.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:08 pm
Hmm, in that case, they might as well close shop altogether, because folks could drop their hamburgers, spilling sauce everywhere, slip and break their neck, right?

Besides, what would happen any differently if the person slipped with the ice, with or without paying? He was still on BK property.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:13 pm
I just think it's terrible, the kid walks in and demands ice and doesn't have a red cent in his pocket. What happened to rugged individuality?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:19 pm
What's happened to a bit of compassion from folks for an accident victim?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:23 pm
I was playing devil's advocate, reyn, for the fun of it. I share your view of the situation, but now I'm not having fun.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:23 pm
Burger King--Have it Your Way, Right Away.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:24 pm
Sorry, didn't mean to pee on your parade.

How was work today?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:32 pm
Miserable. I spend most of my time in the hot weather. Today, I passed a guy at the pool, soaking up the sun. He says he's from England, where it's wet and cold. He appreciates toasting himself like that. I told him after working in it all summer I want to go to England.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:35 pm
I know exactly what you're going through.

When I was meter reading and someone would comment on the lovelyness of the crappy hot weather, I always wanted to projectile vomit in their general direction.

You don't think that was too extreme, do you?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:40 pm
I think you displayed admirable restraint by not strangling them.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:44 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 09:12 am
Quote:
She said she has tried to contact the local Burger King, but has gotten nowhere. She's called the company's corporate office, too. [..]

She said she just wants answers and an apology.

Ehmm... oohkay.

Sure, whoever was working the counter there was being an ass. No question. But does anyone else think this mom is just ever so slightly overreacting?

I mean, what "answers" does she want? Whats there to say? "Our employee acted like an ass", and? What she want to achieve with all this - for BK to organise nation-wide staff meetings to issue instructions on how to deal with injured people staggering in looking for ice?

Its not like its gonna happen every day..

So now she alerted the press, what next, a court case? Damages for emotional distress?

Weird place.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 10:15 am
Yeah, I was thinking something similar. I mean, if it was my friend who was just telling me about this I would be outraged and sympathetic -- man, they charged him for the ice?! That so sucks!

But the scale is a bit out of whack, as-is.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 11:27 am
Don't forget that the "Manager" on duty may well have been a 19 year old kid threatend with losing his job if there were any freebies of any sort on his shift.

Some teenagers reckon that all their friends are entitled to an Employee Discount. I know gas stations cope with this mentality by charging the teen aged clerks if the driver leaves the pumps without paying.

In any case, Burger Flippers aren't hired to think creatively. Even the cash register comes with pictures.

As for Mama--Mother Tiger Drama Queen. She wouldn't be so crass as to sue, but if the fast food chain offers her a year of free meals for her and for her loved ones, I bet she'll accept.

There could also be some legal complications. A Sue Happy Lawyer could make a case that supplying ice without a medical degree is practicing medicine without a license. A bartending friend of mine was warned not to give a patron with a headache an aspirin by this reasoning.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 01:03 pm
Ah, sad to what this world has come to. One must have a license to be compassionate. Sad
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Miserly Burger King charges hurt kid for ice
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 05:24:56