Pope says don't work too hard

Reyn

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 08:51 pm
Quote:
Pope says don't work too hard

CASTELGANDOLFO, Italy (Reuters) - Too much work can be bad for you, even if you are the Pope, Pope Benedict said on Sunday.

Speaking during his Sunday address at his summer residence south of Rome, the Pope quoted from the writings of St Bernard of Chiaravalle, who lived in the 11th and 12th centuries.

"We have to guard ourselves, the saint observed, from the dangers of excessive activity, regardless of the office one holds, because too many concerns can often lead to hardness of heart," the Pope said.

"This warning is valid for every type of job, even those concerned with the government of the church," he said.

The 79-year-old Benedict noted that the saint had written to the pontiff of the times, Eugene III, warning him of the dangers of working too hard.

Benedict said one should always make room for "prayer and contemplation".

Just in time for Monday morning!!! You heard it right here from the BIG guy himself!! :wink:

[2 thumbs up]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 800 • Replies: 10
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 12:37 pm
Well, I mean <sputtering> Pope!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 12:58 pm
This guy is sooo much better than Woytila.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 02:04 pm
" who lived in the 11th and 12th centuries." Is this an impressively long life... or will future generations, when they recount my words of wisdom, say I lived in the first and second millenia?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 02:06 pm
fbaezer wrote:

I assume you refer to entertainment value.

Jespah, the Pope wasn't speaking about Jews . . . i'll just bet he has other plans for them . . .
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 02:11 pm
The teachings of Bernard de Chiaravalle [workaholism may be hazardous to your spiritual health] are eternal, e_brownp.

And, set, I do mean it. Ratzi's much better than the other fella. Not only for entertainment value.

Benedict XVI wrote some things about love that seem to come from the XIX Century... that's a leap of about 5 centuries from Woytila.
He has a more modern stance. Words more than charisma.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 02:13 pm
Well, yes . . . from a relativisitc point of view, the Nineteenth century is marginally preferable to the sixteenth century . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 02:51 pm
In today's Guardian a report says that

Quote:
More Americans swap beach for the office
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 03:12 pm
Setanta wrote:
fbaezer wrote:

I assume you refer to entertainment value.

Jespah, the Pope wasn't speaking about Jews . . . i'll just bet he has other plans for them . . .

Eh, I already have plans for the evening. Though that would be a bit funny.

What are you doing tonight?
I'm goin' out with the Pope. We're gonna eat at a vegan restaurant and then watch a screening of The Greatest Story Ever Told.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 04:37 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Quote:

Walter, interesting little story. I would be curious to know what the statistics are versus NOT taking holidays and taking sick time.

Perhaps it balances out?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 05:49 pm
something isn't right here !
i understand the pope is german ?
and i just read in german news that germans are asked "to take fewer holidays" and instead put a penny or two away for retirement .
(it actually caused quite a storm in germany since the government minister making the statement just came back from vacation ! Shocked )
when i was still working , my principle was always : if i'm an hour late for work , i'll leave an hour early to even things out - the pope would have been pleased with me Very Happy .
hbg
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Pope says don't work too hard
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 02:31:07