Farting cows not helping the environment

Reyn

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:38 pm
Quote:
Farting cows not helping the environment

Sydney - Scientists have launched a multi-million dollar project to reduce flatulence in cows, hoping that a drop in gas can help in the fight against global warming.

The project aims to breed more efficient cows that convert their food into more milk and less methane, one of the greenhouse gases blamed for rising temperatures across the planet.

"We're looking at feed conversion efficiency," said Dieter Adam, a manager at New Zealand's Livestock Improvement Corporation.

"We want fuel-efficient cows."

The Australia-New Zealand Biotechnology Partnership Fund said the research project would help farmers selectively breed cows that with were more efficient in converting food into milk.

"There is some scientific evidence indicating that if cows are more efficient milk producers, they produce less methane," Adam said.

In 2003, the New Zealand government attempted to impose a methane tax on farmers because their livestock was responsible for more than half the country's greenhouse gas emissions.

But the so-called "fart tax" was dropped after protests from farmers.

A "fart tax"? Oh my gawd, us older guys are in big trouble! Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,014 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 08:46 am
Jesus, what a conundrum for the hippies.

Cows are causing global warming, but at the same time, you can't go killing cows, man. They're like, living creatures and sh!t.

Duuuuude.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 07:37 pm
<blinks>
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 07:08 am
<farts>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 08:01 am
<charges slappy $50>
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 08:56 am
I cant help it, they just have to come out!
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 09:01 am
I think cows are farting because they are being fed corn. A grain they basically cannot digest. Sounds corny ? it,snot corn has become a problem even though it is one of our prise food stuffs.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 09:14 am
Dont they have 3 stomachs, Im not surprised they fart!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 12:27 pm
Algis Kemezys wrote:
it,snot corn has become a problem even though it is one of our prise food stuffs.

What the heck is "snot corn"?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 01:12 pm
I cant believe it snot corn!
0 Replies

echoopen

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 02:48 am
Question Oh,dear, the first time to hear "Fart tax"
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Farting cows not helping the environment
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 02:22:47