Sitting in a hospital waiting room today....

cyphercat

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 07:03 pm
Oh wait, wait, wait, let me change that to the grinning devil, with a winking face: Twisted Evil :wink: Because otherwise it looks like I was really pissed... I was just a little hurt, is all! <sniffle>
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 07:16 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
We have lots of cafe houses here where you can sit outside and
watch the crowd walking by. The game is always to pinpoint on the basis of their clothes who's a tourist and who isn't. I love especially the ones
who try to fit in so eagerly.

Back in the early 80's I travelled around Europe with a girlfriend. We couldn't figure out how people knew we were Americans before we opened our mouths (little kids would walk by and say "hello American girls") until we were informed that European women did not wear sneakers (aka: athletic shoes/nikes/addias/whatever) in public. When we looked around we noticed European women mostly wore flats or low heeled walking shoes, don't know if it's the same today, but we sure stuck out as different back then.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:08 pm
Noddy
Quote:
Notice, we don't see many "poor but neatly patched and clean" clothes on display any more? Somewhere at K-Mart's or Wal-Marts (or Lord and Taylor's for all I know) there is a Home Furnishing section featuring a perpetual sale on Snow White Mirrors (Wicked Stepmother setting).

I have one of them myself...lol, its when I turn sideways I wanna die...LOL

Osso
Quote:
And, ahem, how come it is so awful for an older woman have her gray roots show, when all over the place there are various celebs who show the roots on purpose?

LOL...nuttin' wrong with roots...but this poor women was trying to keep her white hair red...with a rinse. I know these women from heart, and having to do their hair once a week...lol Thats the only time it gets washed is at the salon...her hair was fried from a perm that had died, and the rinse had faded at her roots...the ends which were porous were still carrying the orange tint left from the red...where it faded. My philosophy is..if your going to use a "Rinse"...then learn to use it at home..or pay the 3 bucks to have a cosmo put it back in..with a proper wash...lol

Link
Quote:
On the topic - I was just thinking of fashion no-nos today. I saw this woman in the office seemed dressed fine, but her shirt was a bit too tight - what does everyone think about when your nipples imprint can be seen through your shirt?

Umm, I've noticed that with some women, you can't help but pay attention to it..its like they are trying to draw the attention...lol All I can say is put a band aid on...lol, or cut a panty liner in half...lol Hide those puppies...

Unless thats the look your going for.....

Chai
Quote:
ya know...I'm not gonna say anything about really heavy people, because I know enough BBW's that may not have tons of money, but wear stuff that, well, looks good, and decent and modest. I'm no skinny minnie myself.

Chai...lol, I'm a BBW.....don't like my weight, but can't hide it, thats life.. But I do try my best when I go out in public not to draw attention to the negative parts of me...lol I try to draw attention to my eyes...hair...chest area...(rolls eyes) instead of that gut and ass I have going on....

If I could change the area right below my breast to my hips, I'd have a great body...cause God did give me a great set of legs...LOL He just tired around the waist...lol (theres a pic of me in the A2K photos...somewhere in the beginning...thats a full body pic...I hate it, I have chubby cheeks..but I'm brown.......lol)

Calimity Jane
Quote:
We have lots of cafe houses here where you can sit outside and
watch the crowd walking by. The game is always to pinpoint on the basis of their clothes who's a tourist and who isn't. I love especially the ones
who try to fit in so eagerly.

LOL, we do that too, but we can tell quicker by the accent, then the clothing...

I'm not perfect, I have my moments from hell. If someone was to drive up during the day when I'm tearing apart my house, or cleaning someone else's...hair is all pulled up on top of my head, no makeup...sweat dripping, no shoes....usually in a pair of boxers or cut off shorts, with a tank... I'd die.......but I'm comfy.

And I enjoy watching people....LOL There is no harm in it.....as long as you keep that finger down, and the giggle to yourself.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:36 pm
After all, public means public.

I agree that giggling and pointing are very, very tacky--but unvoiced opinions don't hurt anyone.

In the grocery store this morning, I saw a 5' 3", 250 pound woman in short shorts and bare midriff and flip flops. Every toe nail was painted a different color and she had at least five ear rings in each ear. She also had a cell phone in working order.

She made me feel, old, thin and superior.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 06:53 am
Miller wrote:
Quote:
I adore watching people, its amazing at you what you see if you take the time to look....I apparently had time today, I spent 5 hours in a hospital waiting room, just gawking at people...lol

How nice it must be, to be perfect and be so critical of others, especially, I might add in a hospital setting.

Hope they never let you in the OR to "observe".

Rolling Eyes

If you KNEW MMS, you'd know there isn't a mean bone in her body.

And come on.....you don't do the same?

I have to say I can't stand seeing a 12 year old girl walking around the mall with her gut hanging out of her shirt, muffin top in her jeans and sporting half a pound of makeup.

She doesn't know any better so....what does her mom dress like? Shocked
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 08:16 pm
Thanks Bella...

Bella
Quote:
I have to say I can't stand seeing a 12 year old girl walking around the mall with her gut hanging out of her shirt, muffin top in her jeans and sporting half a pound of makeup.

I'm with ya on that one....

Noddy
Quote:
In the grocery store this morning, I saw a 5' 3", 250 pound woman in short shorts and bare midriff and flip flops. Every toe nail was painted a different color and she had at least five ear rings in each ear. She also had a cell phone in working order.

Bella
Quote:
She doesn't know any better so....what does her mom dress like?

A lady that lives out here...along with her daughter. Their sense of dress style just eludes me. The Mom isn't that bad, but she's a mixture of both of your post, 5-ft...heavy, thick glasses, has bleached her hair and its really a tinted orange, usually has long roots...muffin top, but her clothing choice isn't that bad, she's pretty clean, simple.

Her daughter on the other hand is allowed to wear anything she pleases at 15, and I'm looking at her like she's lost her mind. Like Noddy mentioned..this 15 yo, has painted finger nails, each different colors, or they are painted black...a ton of plastic bands on her wrists, with a wad of mix-matched jewelry, She'll layer her clothing to the point that she'll resemble the michelin tire man. I wanna tap her on the shoulder and tell her..."Honey...less is more".

So...this lil girl shows up at a pee wee football game, and has on this beaded skull cap below...but its turquoise...and I can't keep my eyes off of it, because the sun is hitting it and its sparkling like diamonds...lol Not to count, she sat right down in front of me. Everyone in the stands was staring at her...and she kept giggling coyly...and turning to her mother and asking..."What are they staring at..??" Shocked "Can't they find something else to look at? " Giggle Giggle...and a ton of mix matched clothing on...with gobs of jewelry, a bright shiny gold purse...w/ red cowboy boots..AND Cleopatra Makeup....eyeliner and all...least we not forget those large hoops she had dangling in her ears....that really set the skull cap off....

The Grandmother that was two seats over...LOL, acted so embarrassed, if she could have found her a hole to crawl off into she would have. She wouldn't even look at the girl...I felt sorry for her..She even said something to the mother, but she in return just shrugged her shoulders over it.

http://i8.ebayimg.com/02/i/06/98/22/da_2.JPG

Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking...? Or if they are....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 08:40 am
It's very possible that the mother has conceded on clothes and picked her battles with her daughter elsewhere.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 01:25 pm
Free will and Fashion overlap in vivid, colorful ways.

This morning I visited the produce stand for fresh fruit and saw a three year old girl wearing a pajama top, two Mardi Gras necklaces and the toddler equivalent of combat boots.

Both she and her mother seemed very happy picking out corn for the family.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 01:50 pm
Noddy
Quote:
This morning I visited the produce stand for fresh fruit and saw a three year old girl wearing a pajama top, two Mardi Gras necklaces and the toddler equivalent of combat boots.

LOL, now see, I'd think that was cute....

I let my 8 year old dress himself too...when were going to the woods, or to baseball/football practice. I have no arguements with him over wearing a black/red shirt with green shorts, bright blue flip flops...and a baseball hat that is maroon. LOL He wore that today to his brother's football practice...

BUT When we go out in public out to dinners, to the movies, someone's home for something special, weddings, funerals.... we argue, because I feel that this is a different situation, it calls for better clothing, and we don't go looking to make some puzzlement of a fashion statement. Were pressed, ironed...hair is combed, and to me...nothing else is acceptable.

I have made it a rule in my home that "old clothing" is worn for everyday play....work...etc, even old shoes.....but the nice clothing is left for school, and events...my boys know that once they are in the door from school, shoes, socks, all clothing come off....and the old go back on to go play.

Its not a quirk, its reality. I can't afford to go and buy a numerous amount of clothing for them to ruin playing in the dirt, along with thier good shoes. And I'm not going to give 40-60 dollars on Nike's or New Balance's for them to stomp in a mudhole because they just want too...LOL It may cost me time in washing, but in the long run...its saves money....

(Ok...I know, I can hear the key pegs being hit on now....LOL)

Yes, I spend that much on my childrens shoes...lol They only wear them to school...and when we go out. I bought the oldest one NB's last school year, and they were worn all school year long. There wasn't any going out and buying a new pair every 6 weeks because the sole had fallen off...or etc... They are well worth the money...I also buy them with a thumbs worth of room at the end, that way if we hit a growing spell, we have it covered for a lil bit...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 02:29 pm
MMS--

I agree with you about school clothes and play clothes--and Sunday-Go-To-Meeting clothes as well.

Feet are important and shoes are worth spending money on. For years and years with sons and stepsons, I'd repeat again (and again and again) "Changing clothes means changing shoes, too."

Ah, memories.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 03:01 pm
I think there is a point in every teenager's life when their clothing screams "Look at me!" even if their expression sneers "What you lookin' at?" Hopefully this wears off as people age Very Happy and I'm fortunate in raising boys that I never had to deal with pre-teen/teen girl as whore in terms of fashion sense.

I was pretty lenient with my sons as long as they didn't wear anything obscene and toned it down for family outings, funerals Laughing etc.

I survived my youngest's frequent hair-dyeing (copper really suited him), his "faux-hawk" (short sides with a big chunk of hair in the middle that he'd stiffen with white glue) and endless parade of hand painted t-shirts. I was so used to his get ups that I was often momentarily surprised when someone stared, and then, "oh, right, it's the Communist Manifesto jacket, right?" He got a lot of comments about that one, and strangely enough, all positive. I was mostly afraid someone would beat him up for looking "different". He's toned down a bit these days (doesn't dye but still cuts his own hair) and starts an Art and Design course at our local college in a few weeks. No doubt he'll wear the latest hand painted t-shirt his first day.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 03:21 pm
Your son sounds very cool, Tai Chi!

I'm pretty lenient with sozlet and self-expression via clothes/ fashion, as she's been very interested in that stuff since she was teeny tiny. Today she wanted me to give her a specific "rock and roll" hairdo -- ponytails all over her head (ended up with 6 total). It looks really cool!

I took her to Old Navy yesterday to spend $25 on school clothes as she saw fit. She was dismissive of almost everything ("no, boring, no, no") until she saw some cowboy boots. She's been wanting cowboy boots FOREVER. They were $24.50. I said "If you get that, that's it, nothing else" but she wanted those cowboy boots.

Then I saw a dress I thought she might like and her eyes popped out of her head and she said "I LOVE it!!" and we tried it on and I decided to get that one more thing for her. (Good price.)

So her outfit is this:

http://www.oldnavy.com/Asset_Archive/ONWeb/Assets/Product/398/398899/main/on398899-01p01v01.jpg

(The embroidery is a light copper, can't really see in the pic)

and this

http://www.oldnavy.com/Asset_Archive/ONWeb/Assets/Product/409/409675/main/on409675-00p01v01.jpg

With her long curly hair (medium-dark brown, very light brown/ almost blonde at the ends after a summer at the pool), she looked great. Never would have chosen either of those for her on my own, I don't think. The outfit is very HER though.

I draw the line at showing skin/ inappropriately slutty stuff, but that's never what she's interested in anyway. (OK, so far, she IS only 5...)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 03:26 pm
Some of you might enjoy this thread - the link has a lot of photos, I practically wore my eyes out... lot of different styles and ages if you manage to keep looking at the photos..

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=81246&highlight=
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 03:27 pm
Quote:
OK, so far, she IS only 5...)

Only 5--but I bet you started Mother/Daughter fashion talk at least two years ago including both style and taste in your discussions.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 03:40 pm
Noddy
Quote:
Feet are important and shoes are worth spending money on. For years and years with sons and stepsons, I'd repeat again (and again and again) "Changing clothes means changing shoes, too."

Noddy, I'm so proud to see someone agree with me over this. I have preached this to my husband from the time we got married up until..umm, probably 5 or 6 years ago. He didn't like the fact that I would spend a 100 dollars on a pair of tennis shoes...or work shoes. Thought I was wasting money....but when your feet hurt from poorly made shoes, the money is worth the loss of pain...

"They are just shoes!" He'd say...

But it took me sliding his feet into some very expensive Justin's to make him understand what I was talking about. Those Justin's...the first pair he's ever owned, are still around to be worn....I have two or three pair that are 10 years older or better....they last. Matter of fact, I have one pair of Justin Sneakers w/the riding heel... that were $120 when they first come out about 15 years ago, I still wear. (ticks me off that you can buy them now for about 40...lol)

After the experience with the Justin Roper's...he decided to try a pair of their workboots...Well now..LOL, were prone to spend $150 or higher on one pair to work in. LOL His feet don't bother him now, or his shins...(Cant imagine why? lol) Your feet carry the load.... Matter of fact, I have him spoiled now to good tennis shoes too. He's a big Nike fan or Skeechers fan. I have to watch him on hunting boots...(I'm talking spoiled) last fall, I give almost a $100 on a pair of them...and he was wanting more expensive ones... Shocked

But on the other hand...lol I see giving this kind of money on work shoes, school, etc, but I don't give that kind of money on dress shoes...lol Sandals, etc, they are usually cheap, because I don't wear them enough to have to worry about the make....and summertime, I'm the flip-flop queen.

Tai Chi
Quote:
I survived my youngest's frequent hair-dyeing (copper really suited him), his "faux-hawk" (short sides with a big chunk of hair in the middle that he'd stiffen with white glue) and endless parade of hand painted t-shirts. I was so used to his get ups that I was often momentarily surprised when someone stared, and then, "oh, right, it's the Communist Manifesto jacket, right?" He got a lot of comments about that one, and strangely enough, all positive. I was mostly afraid someone would beat him up for looking "different". He's toned down a bit these days (doesn't dye but still cuts his own hair) and starts an Art and Design course at our local college in a few weeks. No doubt he'll wear the latest hand painted t-shirt his first day.

Now...see Tai, with your prespective on this, I wouldn't look at him strangley at all. I'd think that he was creative, and being his ownself..which is something to be proud of.

Maybe if I had that lil girls mother's outlook at the ballfield, I wouldn't have looked at her like I had. But still, that lil girl to me is screaming for attention, whether its good or bad.

Soz Thats cute! She's got good taste...lol

I let my boys pick out their own school clothes this year, that was a hoot!
What surprised me is they went from wanting to wear nothing but Wranglers a few years back w/boots, to vintage clothing. They both have about the same taste...and picked out quite a few pieces that matched. The funny part is, the oldest one is 12 and the younger one 8, and there's not much difference in their size. So..they can swap up alot of their clothing. Works for me!

http://www.payless.com/Images/thumb/051184_thumb.gif

Ok, with all my rambling about expensive shoes, these pictured above I bought back in the spring at Payless, for 15.00. OMGGGGGGGGGGg, your feet just thank you when you slide them on...comfort, COMFORTABLE!!! There is not pressure on your feet, they aren't slippery, they have traction, they feel like your walking on air....just LOVELY!!!!! I highly recommend anyone and everyone to buy a pair of them...I wore them with jeans when it was cooler.....but everyone around here is wearing them with shorts....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 03:51 pm
Yep, Crocs and their knockoffs, see them everywhere. My friends rhapsodize about them, I'll probably get a pair sooner or later. Sozlet likes the thing where you get a couple of pairs in different colors (pink and yellow, say), and then wear them mismatched.

That's a good price! I looked at some at a local camping store and they were $29.99. Price keeps going up, they were much cheaper when I first noticed them last year.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 03:56 pm
Quote:
That's a good price! I looked at some at a local camping store and they were $29.99. Price keeps going up, they were much cheaper when I first noticed them last year.

Yep, Wal-Mart has them for 10, but they are no where near the quality that extra 5 bucks gets ya at payless. I started to buy a pair at Wal-mart, I wasn't going to wear them everyday, and after I stuck my foot in them...It was apparent that these Airwalks were much better...

Not knockin' Wal-Mart, I live there sometimes, but there is just a big difference in those shoes...lol
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 04:06 pm
I see Crocs everywhere these days. My husband thought I was nuts when I bought a pair of turquoise ones until he saw a guy his age in the grocery store wearing neon orange Laughing I was leery but everybody was raving about them and I needed something waterproof that I could slip on and off easily. They really are comfortable. Normally I spend most of my clothing budget on footwear. I have some nerve damage in one foot (and really high arches and really wide feet <<sigh>>) so I have to be picky. You can get really tired of Birkenstocks though so the crocs have been fun. Two different colours huh? Hubby'd have me committed Laughing
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 05:32:28