Mammoth comeback is possible say experts

Reyn

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 06:06 pm
Quote:
Mammoth comeback is possible say experts

JOHN VON RADOWITZ

THE woolly mammoth could be brought back from extinction using sperm extracted from animals encased in ice.

Researchers have already found that sperm taken from the frozen reproductive organs of dead mice can produce viable offspring.

Writing in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, they suggest that sperm from frozen mammoths could be used to bring the extinct creatures back to life.

The idea would be to inject mammoth sperm, assuming it could be retrieved, into the eggs of female elephants.

A successful pregnancy would produce the closest thing possible to a living woolly mammoth, the result of crossing one of the extinct animals with a close modern-day relative.

Sperm is routinely frozen for IVF treatment, but has to be carefully stored and protected.

The new research showed it is possible simply to freeze whole male mice, or their reproductive organs, and use the sperm extracted from them to produce offspring.

In one test, sperm were retrieved from the bodies of mice that had been kept frozen at minus 20C for 15 years.

Some of the sperm successfully fertilised eggs after being injected into them.

It was not known how long viable sperm could be frozen in animal bodies, the researchers said. But the findings raised the intriguing prospect of resurrecting extinct animals that had remained frozen since the ice age.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 958 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Letty

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 06:11 pm
Hey, Reyn. Maybe Jurassic Park was not so fictional after all.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 06:13 pm
Over at the Bush Ranch, George and Dick are firing up the grill in anticipation of a few good mammoth steaks.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 06:17 pm
I don't think anyone will find frozen dinosaur sperm...... maybe we could manipulate alligator or croc sperm....?

So, I assume a female elephant would carry the newbie to term. I wonder what effect that would have on her. Can't DNA from frozen tissue be used to make a hybrid or a clone without using sperm?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:18 am
I think the major issue is that having 99.9% of the DNA isn't good enough.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:24 am
Assuming arguendo that we CAN, does it necessarily follow that we SHOULD?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:58 am
blacksmithn wrote:
Assuming arguendo that we CAN, does it necessarily follow that we SHOULD?

Absolutely.

edit: what possible ethical objections are there?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 12:15 pm
If mammoths were meant to be alive today. Mammoths would be alive today. Maybe we should bring back sabre tooth tigers et al.

Shocked
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 01:01 pm
I wouldn't mind having a safari park with mamouths and sabre-tooth tigers. I sell the steaks of the one for ruinous prices, and charge gun nuts astronomical sums to hunt the latter--might thin out the gun nut gene pool nicely, too.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 01:05 pm
Quote:
might thin out the gun nut gene pool nicely, too.

Cool Laughing Laughing Laughing Cool

Embarrassed
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 01:05 pm
Bring back the mammoth! What a great idea! Now I just have to ask -- WHY???
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 01:07 pm
I would keep a manmouth as a pet and name him Spunky.

everyone would be so jealous.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 02:00 pm
Quote:
Bring back the mammoth! What a great idea! Now I just have to ask -- WHY???

...why, why do we even bother to dig this **** up anyway? It's just a bunch of molecules. You bring up a great point. What's the point of museums anyhow? Looking at dinosaur bones doesn't put gold rims on your humvee.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 03:19 pm
Hey Stuh! Elephants, which are clsely related to mammouths, are practically an endangered species. It costs million of dollars and hurculean efforts to maintain their preserves. So, now we bring back an extinct animal and struggle to find it a habitat that man has not destroyed?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 03:20 pm
NickFun wrote:
Hey Stuh! Elephants, which are clsely related to mammouths, are practically an endangered species. It costs million of dollars and hurculean efforts to maintain their preserves. So, now we bring back an extinct animal and struggle to find it a habitat that man has not destroyed?

If Spunky heard you bitching, he'd come over and kick your ass.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 04:33 pm
Quote:
If Spunky heard you bitching, he'd come over and kick your ass.

Spunky? Spunky your private "man-mouth"? I'm not sure I want him to lick my ass. I mean kick my ass.

Quote:

Ok, from an economic standpoint, your argument is limper than a wet noodle, because I have a hard time believing that a living resurrected mammoth could not pay for it's weight in gold a thousand times over from all the global tourists who would come to see it.

Second of all, and more importantly...what's wrong with your inner child? We're talkin' about a mammoth (note the spelling)!!! Our curiosity is a really a big part of what makes us human. We want to understand and explore our world and understand our history. We care about our ancestors, we like looking back on geneology, we like to look back to the majestic days of the dinosaurs...we gladly pay to see the bones of these creatures in museums, people devote their lives just to understanding a little bit more about them, and if we had the opportunity to bring one back you aren't even the least bit interested?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 05:59 pm
Laughing

manmouth, I just realized I typed that!

I think that slipped because I grew up in Monmouth County.

Spunky thought that was pretty funny too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 06:03 pm
(snorting)

I suppose that is anti-chivalric.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 06:06 pm
Oh. Soooo....I guess that means you're not a sadistic pervert...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 06:09 pm
But on why dig up mammoths or dig at all, I'll just let Farmerman 'splain.

Though I suppose history means naught, it fascinates some of us molecule packets who are here now.

Also, stuh, haven't seen you for a long time, welcome back (if indeed you've been away).
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Mammoth comeback is possible say experts
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 02:26:44