The safest way to browse the Internet - protect your PC

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 08:00 am
Download and install the VMWare player and use it to run the Browser Appliance.

Your computer will be completely isolated from any viruses, trojans, or browser hijack attempts that are encountered while browsing the Internet.

VMWare player (free application to run virtual machines): http://www.vmware.com/download/player/

Browser Appliance (Firefox running on Linux virtual machine): http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/browserapp.html

How it works: Virtualization is a technology where software running on a computer simulates the environment of a completely different computer. The memory, "disk," etc. of the virtual machine are kept completely isolated from the host computer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,920 • Replies: 8
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 03:30 pm
Re: The safest way to browse the Internet - protect your PC
DrewDad wrote:
Download and install the VMWare player and use it to run the Browser Appliance.

uhhh... huh?

I would love to use this once my computer is fixed, but I need words that are 3 syllables or less..

what is a browser appliance?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 04:08 pm
Basically, using these two tools together runs a web browser that's firewalled from the rest of your computer.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 04:11 pm
"Browser Appliance" means a browser that is run using the VMWare Player.

It's a pre-configured software "appliance."
0 Replies

gopinath

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 04:00 am
This can help you to protect your pc
You have to protect your pc from spy wares. To protect your pc, just follow some easy software steps, visit here for get some tips about it,
Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 02:24 pm
bookmark......
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 03:06 pm
I recently ran across a recommendation for a program called "Sandboxie" for a secure/safe browsing experience, although I've not tried it. It sounds similar to what DD is talking about. This utility is highly regarded by the techsupportalert.com site (which, BTW, is an excellent site for good freeware utilities):

Quote:
If you use Windows 2000 or later my top recommendation for safe browsing is a free program called Sandboxie that creates a special contained "sandbox" environment on your PC. "While browsing within the virtual sandbox provided by Sandboxie you are totally corralled off from other parts of your PC. So any files you download are isolated to the sandbox. Similarly, any programs that are executed only do so within the sandbox and have no access to your normal files, the Windows operating system or any other part of your PC.

Usage is remarkably simple. To start a sandboxed browsing session you just click the Sandboxie icon from the Quick Launch tray and this will launch your default browser in the sandbox. You can then use it in the normal way to browse to sites or download files.

If you downloaded a file it will install normally but again will be corralled off from your real PC. Anything it writes to your hard drive, any changes to the Windows Registry or changes to the Windows startup will be held in a separate area within the sandbox. Similarly, any new processes running in your computer memory will be sandboxed.

After you have finished browsing you can right click the Sandboxie icon and delete all sandboxed files and processes and your PC will be returned to the same state it was in before the browsing session. If you want retain particular downloaded files you can save them permanently before clearing the contents of the Sandbox.

The advantage is clear: any spyware, trojans, keyloggers or other malware products that infected your PC while browsing will be eliminated.

Sandboxie works fine with all browsers but requires Windows 2000 and later. It can cause problems on some PCs so backup before installing.

(Note the warning there at the end.)

http://www.sandboxie.com
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 03:13 pm
bookmarking too.

thanks drewdad, you're a peach.
0 Replies

John Ramires

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 05:43 am
Isn't it easier to use antiviral programm such as Kasperskij AVP or NOD32? I use Kasperskij and AdMuncher (to delet all adverts from page). I find AdMuncher very useful because of blocking this stupid adds which was written with flash technologie and can contain viruses.
0 Replies