Iran gets laugh out of Holocaust

Reyn

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 10:05 pm
Simple question: Is what Iran doing here the same kind of thing as the infamous incident over a Danish newspaper's caricature of the prophet Mohammed?

In my opinion - no. One is poking fun at a religious figure, the other is about murdering people.

But, I wouldn't make a fuss about it. They're only doing it to get a rise out of folks.

Quote:
Iran gets laugh out of Holocaust

August 16, 2006

TEHRAN: An exhibition of more than 200 cartoons about the Holocaust opened yesterday as part of Iran's response to last year's Muslim outrage over a Danish newspaper's caricature of the prophet Mohammed.
The display, showing 204 entries from Iran and abroad, was strongly influenced by the views of Iran's hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who drew widespread condemnation last year for calling the Holocaust a "myth" and saying Israel should be destroyed.

One cartoon, by Indonesian Tony Thomdean, shows the Statue of Liberty holding a book on the Holocaust in its left hand and giving a Nazi-style salute with the other.

Masoud Shojai, director of the host, Caricature House, said a jury looked through 1200 entries received after the contest was announced in February by the co-sponsor, the Iranian newspaper Hamshahri.

"We staged this fair to explore the limits of freedom Westerners believe in," Mr Shojai said.

"They can freely write anything they like about our prophet, but if one raises doubts about the Holocaust he is either fined or sent to prison.

"Though we do not deny the fact that Jews were killed in the (second world) war, why should the Palestinians pay for it?"

The competition came after worldwide protests by Muslims against the Mohammed cartoon published by the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten.

Many Muslims considered the cartoon offensive and a violation of traditions prohibiting images of their prophet.

Hamshahri said it wanted to test the West's tolerance for drawings about the Nazi killing of six million Jews in World War II.

The entries on display came from nations including the US, Indonesia and Turkey.

About 50 people attended the exhibition's opening.

The exhibition runs until September 13 and the winner will receive $US12,000 ($15,680).

The exhibition hall is next to the Palestinian Authority's embassy, which was Israel's diplomatic site in Iran before the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 356 • Replies: 5
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 12:10 am
Sigh.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 02:11 am
Of course, the Political and Religious leaders in Iran( a true Theocracy) believe that the Twelfth Imam will return after an Apocalypse of some kind and then the entire world will be ruled by Islam!!

They are all madmen!!!
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 02:23 am
A childish retribution? As you state it Reyn, this is just to provoke us. It's best that the West makes no fuzz about it, just make a diplomatic frown.

As for the danish cartoonist, well, I'm sorry to say this, but it's stupid and dangerous to make fun or to mock other people's belief. Especially people with a dominant and militant orthodox core of political and religious leaders. It's juggling with fire, and then you just know you eventually will get burned.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:23 am
Yes, Najmelliw, and isn't it interesting that in the USA( since we are so tolerant) we allow a scumbag like Serrano to immerse a crucifix in urine as a Piece of Art and display it---If he did that to a Koran, he would be stabbed in twenty four hours!

By the way, I am fascinated with your avatar and the words-"from the Sixth Layer of Hell"--Do you empathize with the Epicurians in that Circle?
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 05:05 am
Not really, no. I dont have anything against the Epicureans, but the reason for the avatar is simply because I liked it, and my location has to do with my state of mind and the cold temperature outside the day I picked it. Smile
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Iran gets laugh out of Holocaust
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 02:14:41