You Can't Win

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 04:06 am
"You Can't Win", by Jack Black. Anyone read it? Great book. The book was published in the twenties, I believe, and I really couldn't tell you how popular it was at the time, but eventually, as many books do, it suffered the fate of being out of print. Years went by and it was mostly forgotten.

But it has been republished by a company that digs up old, out of print books and gives them a new life.

This particular book deals with the lifes and times of Jack Black, rogue, rascal, thief, beggar... you name it. The man had a disdain for work and the amount of effort he put into living a comfortable life without the chains of work dragging him down is quite remarkable.

The book is fast-paced and relatively short -- a good two hour read on an airplane or, as I did, comfortably resting on my hammock.

I would be interested in hearing opinions of others who have read this book.

I would also strongly reccomend it to anyone who would like to take an peek at a lifestyle at the turn of the century that has been largely ignored.

Others can read about the rich and famous... I prefer reading about the downtrodden and the defiant. Give me Jack Black, Jurgus Rudkus, or Jeeter Lester.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,566 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 04:10 am
So - who are Jurgus Rudkus and Jeeter Lester, Gus?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 04:12 am
Jurgus Rudkus, from "The Jungle", by Upton Sinclair, and Jeeter Lester from "Tobacco Road" by Erskine Caldwell.

Do you live on the computer?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 07:07 am
No, thank you for your kind concern, I live in Australia.

Better now?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 10:23 am
There are three things in life that one must not do...

1.) Tug on Superman's cape

2.) Pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger

3.) Provoke the Bunny

I have made a grievous error and violated rule #3. I fear the repurcussions shall be tumultuous and severe.

In my defense: I was simply startled that your reply was seemingly submitted before I had even finished typing my question. Perhaps I should have worded things differently. I have enough to worry about right now. I certainly do not need to face the wrath of an Australian woman.

Please accept my humblest apologies for stepping on your toes in such a cruel and heartless fashion.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 11:45 am
gustav, WELCOME to A2K. I've done all three. Now what? Wink c.i.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 01:54 pm
Gus - on behalf of all Australian women, may I say how pleased I am to see you!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 05:13 pm
Goodness - I was not in the least provoked! I was TEASING the old capybara eat....sorry, I mean FARMER.

It IS good to see old Ratty here, isn't it?
0 Replies