Boy George Reports For Garbage Duty

Reyn

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 06:24 pm
Laughing Must have been a slow day for the media guys and gals. They like the smell of blood, don't they?

As for The George, what an idiot! False report, and you have drugs around in your place!

[slaps forehead]

Quote:
Boy George Reports For Garbage Duty

(CBS) NEW YORK Singer Boy George tried out a new look -- an orange vest -- as he reported for his first day of community service on Monday with the city's Department of Sanitation. It didn't take long before he got into a confrontation with the media.

The one-time Culture Club singer, told by a Manhattan judge that he must decide whether his court-ordered community service would be an "exercise in humiliation or in humility," was ordered to spend five days as a garbage worker after pleading guilty in March to false reporting of an incident.

As he went about his duties, the singer was swarmed by reporters and photographers while he stood on the median of a Lower East Side Street. He used his broom to sweep dust and leaves into the lens of a video camera.

"You think you're better than me?" he yelled. "Go home. Let me do my community service."

"This is supposed to be making me humble. Let me do this," he said. "I just want to do my job."

Shortly before that, his manager, Jeremy Pearce, told reporters: "He doesn't show any kind of emotion about these things. He takes it in his stride."

"He doesn't need to be humiliated. He's a humble person," Pearce said before the incident, calling the judge's remarks "an unfortunate comment."

Boy George's workday had begun at 7 a.m., as a sport utility vehicle pulled up at a Lower East Side sanitation depot. Boy George, who wore dark Ü pants, shoes without socks, a black sweatshirt and black wraparound sunglasses, walked inside without speaking to reporters.

About a half-hour later, he emerged from the building, flanked by camera crews, and got into a Sanitation van. With about seven cars following the van, he was driven several blocks and went into a small building with a sticker on the door that read, "NYC Recycles."

He came out again wearing the bright orange vest with yellow stripes, bearing the words "New York City Department of Sanitation," placed an empty trash bin in the back of the van, and was taken to the median, where his sweeping was interrupted by the confrontation. The van left again after that.

"Things outside in the street were a little chaotic," said Sanitation spokesman Keith Mellis. "We'll see if there's some cleaning that can be done inside."

The singer, born George O'Dowd, has struggled with drug problems for years. He called police with a bogus report of a burglary at his lower Manhattan apartment last October, and the responding officers found cocaine inside.

In June, Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Anthony Ferrara issued a warrant for the singer's arrest when he initially failed to complete the requirements of his plea deal. When O'Dowd appeared in court 10 days later, Ferrara called off the warrant but warned the singer he could not escape his community service commitment.

"It's up to you whether you make it an exercise in humiliation or in humility," Ferrara told O'Dowd, known for his androgynous appearance and hits like "Karma Chameleon" and "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?"

Defense lawyer Louis Freeman said the judge's annoyance was "based on a misunderstanding."

O'Dowd, 45, initially envisioned a service project more in line with his status as an '80s icon.

He petitioned to spend the time helping teenagers make a public service announcement. Among his other proposals to the court: holding a fashion and makeup workshop, serving as a D.J. at an HIV/AIDS benefit or doing telephone outreach.

http://org31.zorpia.com/0/2186/13994052.c66441.jpg

http://org31.zorpia.com/0/2186/13994053.511bbf.jpg
Photographers swarm singer Boy George as he sweeps a New York City street on Aug. 14, 2006, the first day of his court-ordered community service.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 317 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 07:07 pm
Why does anyone care enough about Boy George to swarm him?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 09:32 pm
I guess the media still figures the rest of us care. Kind of like a Michael Jackson thing.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 09:35 pm
Well, by the response to your post. I don't think too many care.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 09:54 pm
Does this mean you care? Laughing
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 05:11 am
I dont particularly care but I think he is one of the few genuinely flamboyant entertainers left.
Id much rather see how he is getting on in life that Michael Jackson etc
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 06:53 am
The media loves to go after some one when they are down. Let the poor sap has-been do his community service and leave him alone.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 07:07 am
He got annoyed with the press when they got in the way of his work.
He seems happy to serve his 'sentence'.Just leave him to it.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 08:22 am
Reyn wrote:
Does this mean you care? Laughing

No
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 08:43 am
Then what are you doing here, other than to remind me that this was a poor choice of a thread?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 08:46 am
Id rather see Boy george sweeping streets that those blooming Mcartney people in the media.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 08:48 am
Maybe they could make a whole reality series out of this kind of thing. You know, celebritities in the dumper.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 09:16 am
Reyn wrote:
Maybe they could make a whole reality series out of this kind of thing. You know, celebritities in the dumper.

Cool, il watch the George Michael episode.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Boy George Reports For Garbage Duty
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 12:24:45