Judge sentences teen traffic violators ride the school bus

Reyn

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 05:52 pm
I like the way this judge thinks! Great idea!

Quote:
Judge sentences teen traffic violators to ride the school bus

Associated Press
Aug. 14, 2006 08:09 AM

PORTAGE, Ind. - A judge fed up with teenage traffic violators is hitting them where it hurts - in the driver's seat - by sentencing them to the embarrassment of riding the school bus.

Porter Superior Judge Julia Jent got the idea after a girl in her court for a moving traffic violation appeared not to take seriously either the offense or the possible fine.

The judge said she knew she had found a way to reach the teen after she ordered her to park her car and ride the school bus.

"The girl cried outside my courtroom. I guess I found the right button," said Jent, who said she's trying to save the lives of young drivers, or at least teach them responsibility.

Jent not only orders teens ages 16 to 18 found guilty of traffic infractions to ride the school bus instead of driving to school, but also warns their parents that they could be held in contempt of court if they drive their child to school.

"Kid does crime, kid does time, and mom and dad can't get them out of it and don't have to feel guilty for not helping," Jent said.

If the teens comply, the case is dismissed.

If they don't -and Jent has been checking with schools and bus drivers to make sure - then the teens' licenses are suspended and they are fined.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 295 • Replies: 5
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 09:54 pm
When I was a tenn I racked up 5 moving violations in one year. But my Uncle the cop took care of them all.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 09:56 pm
Well, I guess that taught you a good lesson, eh? Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 10:00 pm
I love this story!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 02:14 am
I'm with you, Littlek.

Love it :-D
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 07:05 am
My goodness this is horrific. I can't imagine being forced to take the school bus with the other ordinary students!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Judge sentences teen traffic violators ride the school bus
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 12:29:40