Death Row Inmate Appeals Over Smoking

Reyn

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 06:29 pm
Sounds like a frivolous appeal to me. If he waits a bit longer, perhaps he can be smokin' in Hell! Mad

Death Row Inmate Appeals Over Smoking

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Lawyers for a death row inmate are appealing his conviction, in part, because the judge barred jurors from smoking during deliberations.

According to the appeal on behalf of Phillip Elmore, attorneys said the lack of smoke breaks made jurors antsy and overly eager to finish the case.

A jury deliberated for six hours before convicting Elmore in 2003 of aggravated murder and other charges in the death of his ex-girlfriend. A week later, the jury needed three hours to recommend the death sentence.

Common Pleas Judge Jon Spahr would not let them smoke during either deliberations.

"The judge's refusal to make any accommodation of jurors' request to smoke predisposed those jurors to agree on a quick decision," Elmore's lawyers wrote.

Prosecutor Robert Becker said he believes the verdict and sentence will stand. "I don't think I've ever heard of this one. It's relatively novel," he said.

The state Supreme Court was to hear arguments in the case Tuesday.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 271 • Replies: 6
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 10:26 am
Perhaps they should provide optional "nicotine gum" to help tide the jurors over during deliberations. And what about alcoholic jurors? Will we provide them with a bottle of JD? How about food-addicted jurors? Liberal doses of Krispy Creme should help them.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 12:39 pm
I say let 'em suffer!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 12:41 pm
You would until you find yourself in that situtation. I'm a sex addict. I would need...never mind.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 12:44 pm
Laughing Keep your hands where they can be seen, okay?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 12:52 pm
I wouldn't want my fate in the hands of someone who's been sequestered for days or weeks and in the midst of a nic fit, that's for damn sure.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 01:18 pm
maybe i can claim i'm an internet junkie to get excused from jury duty. Razz
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Death Row Inmate Appeals Over Smoking
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 10:31:03