Produce prices.....grrrr!!!

Reyn

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 11:22 am
What the heck is up with the prices of fruit and veggies this year? In our local grocery stores in B.C., it's getting pretty outrageous!

And why are we importing frigging cherries from Chile at $4.00 a pound this time of the year? Have we had a total crop failure or something?

Plums. Here's another goody. We practically have them coming out of our butts here for free and they're something like $1.69 a pound! In August!! Mad Mad

Peaches, nectarines, apples, all the same deal. Don't even ask about blueberries. $2.00 a pound!!! And we're the frigging "Berry Capital of Canada" in this city!!!!

Vent here if you have similar frustrations. I feel ripped off!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,134 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 03:06 pm
I'm blaming Big Oil.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 05:28 pm
Well, for sure tranportation costs have gone up with the increase of fuel costs, but I think there's more to it than that.

With some crops (raspberries, for example), I know our hot and dry weather in July didn't help. The fruit got sun-damaged, at least the crop here.

What disturbs me is that the increases seem to be across the board. Common fruit, like apples for example. Washington state apples sell cheaper than our B.C. ones. They don't have to be trucked too far to the markets from our local orchards.

Anyone else have some ideas?
0 Replies