"Welcome...you've got death..."

Reyn

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 09:31 am
I like this idea. Nice to see something for us older crowd for once.

"Welcome...you've got death..."

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A social networking Web site for Americans aged 50-plus went live on Monday -- complete with an online obituary database that sends out alerts when someone you may know dies and that plans to set up a do-it-yourself funeral service.

The founder of Internet job site Monster.com, Jeff Taylor, launched Eons.com, a similar site to the popular online teen hang-outs MySpace or Facebook for the 50-plus crowd.

Instead of career and school sections, Eons.com has interactive games to build brain strength, news on entertainment and hobbies for older people, a personalized longevity calculator and tips to live longer.

It also has a nationwide database of obituaries dating back to the 1930s to which people can add photos and comments.

"The death business is growing," Taylor told Reuters, offering figures showing the number of deaths in the United States rose to 2.4 million in 2005 from 2.2 million in 2000, and was projected to rise to 4.1 million by 2040.

In addition to adding photos and videos to obituaries, members of Eons.com can sign up to receive an alert when someone from a particular area dies or in response to pre-defined keywords such as a company or school name.

This is similar to e-mail services offered by various other Web sites that alert people when a friend or colleague signs onto a certain site.

"Many people no longer live where they grew up so the idea of a rich story about someone's life in a local newspaper is often lost," said Taylor, who sees online obituaries replacing the traditional death announcements in newspapers.

He said baby boomers, the 77 million Americans born between 1946 and 1964, also wanted to have a greater input into their own funerals. This prompted Eons.com to look into a service where people could plan for their favorite songs to be played at their funeral and where friends and family can go afterward for food and drink.

But Taylor, who quit Monster.com last year, said Eons.com's main focus was not death but celebrating turning the Big 5-0 and living the grandest life possible.

Taylor, who is only 45, said he saw the need for Eons.com, for about 44 million of the 86 million Americans aged over 50 are online, but only a few use social networking sites.

This is also a wealthy group, controlling about 67 percent of the nation's wealth -- and with plenty of time ahead.

"We now live about 20 years longer than our grandparents," said Taylor. "These are people who want to spend money to save time rather then spend their time trying to save money."

Here's the site:

Welcome to Eons!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 245 • Replies: 7
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 10:03 am
I have read that within 120 years every man, woman and child on Earth will be dead. That makes for a huge market!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 11:22 am
Yeah, but who can take advantage of it?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 11:36 am
I like the idea of a do-it-yourself funeral service. That way, nothing is left for the ones mourning you to do. They just show up, celebrate your life and move on. No one worrying about what casket I should have or what type of headstone they can afford.

As for the "Hello...someone's died" thing....I don't know...it seems a little impersonal...
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 12:32 pm
I already have a videotape to be shown at my memorial service. I made it 10 years ago. It's hilarious. But I need to update it slightly.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 12:57 pm
Give us the gist of it.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 01:13 pm
"I want to thank you all for attending my memorial service. Marie, I'm especially surprised to see you. I thought after that incident at the cookout you'd never speak to me again."

I go into my last will and testament telling everyone that I'm sorry but I took all my money with me and I hold up a wad of bills. It goes on but that gives you a taste.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 01:52 pm
Ah, NickFun to the end.

Reminds me of a movie I saw with all the various relatives gathered round to hear /see the reading of a will by a deceased crackpot. Laughing
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » "Welcome...you've got death..."
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 08:24:38