Outlook Express Problem

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 07:39 pm
Hi All

I have configured my Gmail account on OE as per their (google) instructions. I am able to receive and view emails but not able to send them. Whenever I try to, I receive the following promt:

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was '(my email address). Subject 'dd', Account: 'pop.gmail.com', Server: 'smtp.gmail.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first j4sm2474164nzd', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 530, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

Any idea what's wrong?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,612 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 07:57 pm
It is possible that the server requires authentication. You can try the following. Change it back if it doesn't work.

In OE go to Tools - Accounts - Properties - Servers - check the My Server Requires Authentication box. Click OK.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 08:05 pm
Intrepid wrote:
It is possible that the server requires authentication. You can try the following. Change it back if it doesn't work.

In OE go to Tools - Accounts - Properties - Servers - check the My Server Requires Authentication box. Click OK.

Thanks Intrepid, But I found no such thing on opening prooperties.

And, yes, I am working from OE 6.0, Gmail Configuration Guide said OE 2002. Well, I am confused. I have applied the instructions for the 2002 edition on OE 6.0. Is that where I am in the wrong?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 08:23 pm
Is THIS the configuration info you are using?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 06:10 pm
Yes, Intrepid, that's the one I am using.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 06:13 pm
spidergal wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Thanks Intrepid, But I found no such thing on opening prooperties.

And, yes, I am working from OE 6.0, Gmail Configuration Guide said OE 2002. Well, I am confused. I have applied the instructions for the 2002 edition on OE 6.0. Is that where I am in the wrong?

Outlook Express is what you are using. The 2002 is not Outlook Express...it is the full Outlook program. Use the info for Outlook Express.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 06:17 pm
On this page, I chose the first option. I think it was a right move. It says Outlook Express and Outlook 2002
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 06:22 pm
spidergal wrote:
On this page, I chose the first option. I think it was a right move. It says Outlook Express and Outlook 2002

Yes, but on the first page of the installation it gives you an option of choosing Outlook Express or Outlook 2002. You should choose Outlook Express.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 06:25 pm
I chose Outlook Express, Intrepid, in the first place. It hadn't worked out.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 06:28 pm
Sorry, I had read that you chose the 2002 edition of Outlook. Must be my error. If you are using Outlook Express, you should be able to see what I wrote in my first suggestion about the properties. Question
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 06:44 pm
I just did what you had instructed in your first post. Doesn't work.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 06:45 pm
Back to the drawing board.... Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 06:48 pm
I think I'll work from the web email, that's faster and better. Very Happy
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 06:50 pm
Great idea!!!! Laughing

I'll let you know if I come up with something viable.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 06:59 pm
Fine. I know there is something that I am doing incorrectly, which is causing all the trouble. Will repeat the entire process.......with eyes wide open.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 07:13 pm
Intrepid

The good news is that I am now able to send messages. I have figured out what was wrong. I had forgotten to save changes on Gmail account!

OE looks complicated, I'll learn gradually. Smile
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 07:14 pm
Razz

Very Happy
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 07:17 pm
Thanks, Intrepid Very Happy

However, some things still mystify. THe messages are being sent, alright but the error message still pops us. Oh, this complicated OE.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 12:17 am
Just so you know you're not being lied to, here is the properties screen where you find the server authentication in Outlook Express.

http://www.davethedrummer.com/pics/serverauthoex.jpg

Tools - Accounts - select Mail Tab - then select your account - Properties - select Server Tab.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 05:52 am
Thanks for the validation, Heliotrope. I don't think spidergal thought I was lying, she was just a bit confused on how to find it. Smile
0 Replies