Woman in doghouse over Jehovah's Witness sign

Reyn

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 12:35 pm
In the scheme of things, to make a fuss about this sign would just be to draw attention to it. It's been there 30 years, and now someone complains? Was the complainant a Jehovah's Witness?

Who, here, likes to have a Jehovah's Witness on your door step? C'mon, put your hand up! Don't be shy.

Woman in doghouse over Jehovah's Witness sign

Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:21 PM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - A woman has been ordered by police to take down a sign on her garden gate which read "Our dogs are fed on Jehovah's Witnesses."

Pensioner Janet Grove, who owns a Jack Terrier puppy called Rabbit, insisted the sign was a gentle joke to discourage callers at her front door.

Her late husband put the sign up more than 30 years ago when members of the church called at their house on Christmas Day.

But police were forced to act after receiving a complaint.

"We were informed by a member of the public who found the sign to be distressing, offensive and inappropriate," a police spokesman said. "Officers attended the address and the sign was voluntarily taken down."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 413 • Replies: 12
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 12:37 pm
Your avatar fits this situation perfectly, Reyn...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 12:39 pm
Could be a keeper. :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 12:40 pm
I thought that, I really like it.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 12:42 pm
Postscript......after the police left, she put the sign back up again.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 12:43 pm
I always dispareged the "witlesses" when they knocked on my door. About two years after my first wife and I divorced, she became a Witness. I think she was sending me a message.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 12:45 pm
Now, I take care of that issue of having a prominent "no solicitors" sign on my door.

I am of two minds about that particular sign. On the one hand the owner of the house has a perfect right to have that sign. On the other hand, I could see where it might cause some people needless distress. (If you substitute in your mind, Blacks, Christians, Catholics, Jews etc, for Jehovah's Witnesses, you will readily understand to what I am referring.)

I think that a plain vanilla "No Solicitors" like I have takes care of the problem, without causing offense. Or, how 'bout, "Our dog is fed any and all solicitors who are dumb enough to ring this bell". Laughing

That would get the message across, without targeting any particular group.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 12:51 pm
Phoenix, the problem is that JWs apparently can't read.

We once had a sign up announcing "No Religious Groups (etc)". Knocked at the door anyways.

We've also had other (I believe) groups leave literature in our mailbox, even though they were told "No!".

hehe, My wife went out on our doorstep and took it out of the box, and tore it up as they went next door.

Apparently, we were deemed to have needed "saving", as they subsequently came back on another occasion. Go figure.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 12:57 pm
Reyn- How about, "Trespassers will be shot"! Laughing
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 01:26 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I always dispareged the "witlesses" when they knocked on my door. About two years after my first wife and I divorced, she became a Witness. I think she was sending me a message.

Edgar, you're the only person I know besides me who calls them witlesses! Great minds, eh? I always prefer to use the full title of Jovial Witlesses, of course. (No offense to any of 'em out there, why, some of my best friends, etc...)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 01:30 pm
My stepfather's uncle DeWitt was a Jehovah's Witness, and fine fellow. He was always pleasant to my family and never preached to us. It was only after I grew up and they became such pains in the ass I began to poke fun at them.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 02:14 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Reyn- How about, "Trespassers will be shot"! Laughing

Hmm, naw, I'm against the use of firearms.

I prefer heavy use of sarcasm and wit. My father use to love to verbally spar with these types when they came on the door.

Me, I frequently use this tactic:
When I know who is at the door, I don't open it. Then, I make sure that they know that I'm home by doing various things. Drives them nuts not responding to their knocks and rings, etc.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 03:00 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Postscript......after the police left, she put the sign back up again.

Yup, here's a follow-up..............

Police ban widow's sign after 31 years

A widow was told by police to remove a notice on her fence which read: "Our dogs are fed on Jehovah's Witnesses."

The sign had hung on Jean Groves fence for thirty-one years without complaint.

Jean said even Jehovah's Witnesses treated it as a laugh and she put the sign back on the fence after the police left.

According to The Sun she said: "It's only a lark and it's staying there. I don't see what the fuss is about. Don't people have a sense of humour any more?"

Jean has a dog but it is a three-month-old Jack Russell named Rabbit.

Jean who lives in Bursledon, Hants, said: "My husband Gordon hung it up and it's been there ever since. No one has said anything in all that time. The police said it was 'distressing and offensive and inappropriate'."

Mrs Grove's son Richard, 53, said: "We never had a visit from Jehovah's Witnesses for years, so I suppose the sign did the job.

"There's no way we could take it down - it's living testament to dad's sense of humour. The only dogs we have ever had would have been more likely to lick people to death rather than eat them."

A Jehovah's Witness said: "If we see signs like that we just walk away."

A Hampshire police spokesman insisted there had been a complaint.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Woman in doghouse over Jehovah's Witness sign
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 08:32:35