Eel-bashing game slapped down in Britain

Reyn

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 10:39 am
So, be ye for, or against eel-bashing? In the current climate of world events, my opinion is that's it's a relatively harmless bit of fun. If only nations would settle their conflicts in such a manner.

Eel-bashing game slapped down in Britain

Battering one other with a dead eel has been a favoured old tradition in one British town for decades, but a new ban has curtailed the fishy fun and sparked local anger.

"Conger cuddling" has been staged annually in Lyme Regis on the southern English coast for 32 years to raise money for the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) charity, British newspapers reported Saturday.

Two teams stand on wooden blocks and take turns to knock their opponents off by swinging a five-foot (1.5-metre) dead eel on a rope at them, The Daily Telegraph said.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20060729/capt.sge.uzg72.290706104050.photo00.photo.default-395x512.jpg
People grapple with eels. Battering one other with a dead eel has been a favoured old tradition in one British town for decades, but a new ban has curtailed the fishy fun and sparked local anger.

The oddball antics attracted around 3,000 locals and amused tourists to the charity fundraiser.

But a single complaint by an animal rights activist has put a stop to it after claiming the bizarre sport is disrespectful to dead animals.

The RNLI took conger cuddling off the menu after threats were made to film the contest and stir up a nationwide campaign against it.

Richard Fox, 67, who invented the wacky sport, was seething at the ban.

"It's the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard," he raged.

"How can you be disrespecting an animal's rights when it's dead? The eel isn't even caught -- it's trapped by accident in fishermen's nets. One person has spoiled the enjoyment of many."

Mayor Ken Whetlor also raged against the protest, calling the complaint writer "a gutless troublemaker with nothing better to do than stop people enjoying an innocent event that helps to save lives."

"Next they'll be telling us it's unethical to use whitebait to catch mackerel".

The Sun newspaper said there were plenty of other fish in the sea for fans of madcap British sports.

Worm-charming championships, hare-pie-throwing contests and flounder trampling continue unabashed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 449 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 10:51 am
I was there last weekend, for the "tug of war across the harbour entrance" competition.
The local lifeguards were taking on the RNLI (Lifeboat crew).

Needless to say, many pints were downed and evryone ended up in the water.

This is all harmless, stupid fun and helps knit the local community together. It's a shame the eel slapping has been banned, IMO.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 12:01 pm
Have you ever tried eel-slapping?

This reminds me of the Monty Python's Fish Slapping Dance. Check it out if you don't know ( Shocked ) what I'm talking about.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 01:58 pm
Yay, I can't wait to see all the bitching this will spark about "PETA types", thanks to some dope who couldn't find a better use of their concern for animals.

I'm pro-animal rights, and I just hate it when people who can't pick their battles make it that much harder for all of us involved in AR to be taken seriously. For heaven's sake, the eels aren't even deliberately caught for this event. <sigh>
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 12:42 pm
Quote:
Londoner slapped in face with wet fish

London - Inspired by a Monty Python sketch, a charity fundraiser in London with an odd-ball sense of humour submitted himself on Saturday to being slapped in the face with a couple of wet fish.

Ben Fillmore, 24, turned up at Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park in central London as promised at high noon to be publicly humiliated with two fresh Scottish rainbow trouts at the hands of student Lucy Berry, 23.

She had paid 210 pounds (about R2 500) on Internet auction site eBay to be part of Fillmore's quest to raise a total 10 000 pounds (about R120 000) for The Stroke Association.

"It felt okay," Fillmore confided to reporters afterwards.

"My face feels a bit taut and the fish really stinks. It felt very slimy - but it was definitely worth it."

The stunt was an hommage to "the fish-slapping dance" in which John Cleese and Michael Palin, both in safari outfits, take turns wacking each other with fish in a classic episode from television's Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Berry has so far raised a total of 2 000 pounds (about R24 000) for the charity, which helped his mother survive a stroke six years ago.

He said he has more stunts in the pipeline - as well as a project to scale Mount Everest.

Watch it! This will get shut down, too!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 05:09 pm
Itsh dishgushting is what I shay.

It I was a dead eel I would rather be ushed to shlap shilly codgersh with than be chopped into thin shlices and fried in a light Frensch shauce and be sherved up ash the delicashy of the houshe.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Eel-bashing game slapped down in Britain
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 02:21:06