Scams

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 11:41 am
Yesterday I got a phone call that went something like "Mr Dyslexia?" Yes. "My name is Joe Blitxkreg and I am calling concerning the lack of support and training for police officers in helping to reduce drug crimes, I'm sure you are also concerned about drug crimes and wish to aid our cause" "who are you?" I asked. He responed again "You are concerned about drug crimes in our neighborhood aren't you Mr Duslexia?"
"yeah" I says back to him, "I'm also concerned about ripoff scams that seek charity donations that just go in some fatcats pocket under the guise of "supporting the police." "I'd like to know just who you are so I can call the police department and verify your authenticity" He hung up.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,319 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Letty

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 11:58 am
Get 'em all the time, Mr. Duslexia, but never for Letty. Had four calls at night from some guy trying to sell me an extended warranty on my car. I told him to send me the information and I would look it over. He replied that it had to be done on the phone. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 12:08 pm
are either of you on a no-call list? i am, so the only solicitations i get are the political ones. Razz
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 12:14 pm
I get the political ones in the mail, Mr. Turtle. I think I got on the no call list, but am not certain now. The police donations are typical here as well. My friend, who is now a sheriff in St. Augustine, says the only worthy police donations are to the Sheriff's Ranch for orphan boys.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 02:03 pm
yitwail wrote:
are either of you on a no-call list? i am, so the only solicitations i get are the political ones. Razz

Me too, and if Aaahrnold calls one more time..... Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 02:06 pm
You're kidding, C.J. Hilarious.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 02:11 pm
i'm not sure about that, letty, i think i got a call from the guv myself, once; at least, that's who he said he was, and it sounded like him (or a recording of him, to be precise. Razz )
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 02:22 pm
Well, Mr. Turtle. I did get one of those computer generated messages from Barbara Bush because Florida was the swing state back when.

What I love are the ones who call and say: "Don't hang up." and then, of course, I hang up.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 02:30 pm
Hmmm, I have forgotten to put myself on the don't call list when I moved recently. Thanks for reminding me, y'all. It's a national list, isn't it?

It did work in California...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 06:28 pm
Letty wrote:
Get 'em all the time, Mr. Duslexia, but never for Letty. Had four calls at night from some guy trying to sell me an extended warranty on my car. I told him to send me the information and I would look it over. He replied that it had to be done on the phone. Rolling Eyes

I never answer my phone any more. I always keep the "machine"
and if it's important the caller will leave a message.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 06:39 pm
Well, Miller. I had one of those phones at one time. No longer. The messages were more intrusive than the caller. <smile>

(for some reason, I have to log in every time.)
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 06:42 pm
I try to use my e-mail more often than the phone. Then, all I have to do is use my delete button to get rid of trash.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 06:46 pm
and that is what electronic messaging is all about, Miller. Razz
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 06:53 pm
Man I know reponded to an online offer a few weeks ago. The first charge was perhaps thirty dollars. When he agreed to go to the next level for about twenty five more dollars, they responded by taking $3,ooo via his credit card. He is an easy going guy, too easily taken advantage of, and so far has not even made a move to get that money back.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 07:00 pm
Goodnight. and pray that the telephone doesn't awaken me. How sad, edgar. I am still trying to settle my insurance woes.
0 Replies