"Terrorist" by John Updike.

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 03:24 am
Anyone else read/reading this, and wanting to discuss it?

I have just started it.....and am very impressed s far....wonderful writing....it feels as though it is really taking me into the mind of a person with an utterly different world view, and letting me really FEEL how this person sees the world.

I often read several books together...so I will likely be slow to read this one, so do join in...but no spoilers please!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 931 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 04:28 am
Haven't gotten this book yet, but heard an interview with Updike on the radio recently, discussing it. Sounds like a worthwhile read. Thanx for suggesting it, Deb.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 05:41 am
Oh good...I hope you buy it and discuss it here!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 06:39 am
I'm really enjoying it....

Bump, bump...hint, hint....
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 03:09 pm
Okay, okay, I'll see if I can pick up a copy tonight. Honest.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 03:50 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Okay, okay, I'll see if I can pick up a copy tonight. Honest.

YAY!!!!

http://www.travel-net.com/~andrews/images/animations/bunny.gif
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 04:07 pm
I put my request in at the library after you mentioned it a while ago -- I haven't gotten the "your book is available" notification yet. Interested in reading it when I get it.

Will be an interesting run -- Brick Lane (great!), Reading Lolita in Tehran (not so much) and Terrorist (to be determined...)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 05:37 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Haven't gotten this book yet, but heard an interview with Updike on the radio recently, discussing it. Sounds like a worthwhile read. Thanx for suggesting it, Deb.

Yep, he's been on NPR more than once in the last month or two. Sounds interesting.

The Shia Revival: How Conflicts with Islam will Shape the Future, by
Vali R. Nasr, Adjunct Senior Fellow for Middle Eastern Studies sounds interesting too...... you can listen to a WBUR interview with the author here: http://www.here-now.org/shows/2006/08/20060815_2.asp
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 05:11 pm
Just bought the book today, Deb. It's sitting right on the corner of the dining table. I shall probably start reading it later tonight. Does that meet with your approval?

(Also bought another book, The Children of Men by P.D. James. I'm familiar with a number of Ms. James' detective stories but this sounds like it's more in the fantasy genre. According to the jacket blurb, the premise is that the human race has become infertile and the last generation born is now adult. They know that they are the last generation because humanity can no longer reproduce. Hmmm. Sounds intriguing. But probably matter for another thread when I get around to reading it.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 06:38 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Just bought the book today, Deb. It's sitting right on the corner of the dining table. I shall probably start reading it later tonight. Does that meet with your approval?

Yay!!!!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 06:47 pm
I'll check it out

I didn't know John Updike was still alive

Plus, the period has just quit working on my keyboard
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 09:09 pm
Your computer is missing her period, Gus? That's serious. You may be headed for cyberfatherhood.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 09:16 pm
Mine is missing the hyphen/dash.

I spilled coffee in the keyboard....and I have no dashed dash since.
0 Replies