Double-mouthed trout

Reyn

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 04:35 pm
http://www.wftv.com/2005/1222/5611731_320X240.jpg
LINCOLN, Neb. -- A rainbow trout fished out of Holmes Lake in Lincoln, Neb., on Dec. 17, 2005, features a double mouth. Clarence Olberding, 57, of Lincoln, wasn't just telling a fisherman's fib when he called over another angler to look at the two-mouthed trout. It weighed in at about a pound. Olberding, who plans to smoke and eat the fish, said the hook was in the upper mouth, and that the lower one did not appear to be functional. (12/22/05 AP photo)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 427 • Replies: 5
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 08:47 pm
It's not uncommon in trout raised in hatcheries, from which the one in the photo probably came, which are then used to stock rivers and lakes.

I caught a double-mouthed trout out of a lake in the Lincoln National Forrest in New Mexico some years back.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 12:36 am
Wow! Got any photos?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 01:14 am
Unfortunately, no.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 02:02 am
Really, infrablue? Why is that - do you know?

Did it creep you out, and did you eat that fish?

This fish makes me sad. Poor baby. Good thing he is a fish and doesn't know.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 09:56 pm
Like in humans, deformities in individual organisms occur throughout the rest of nature at certain rates. When fish are raised in hatcheries, I think it tends to concentrate the numbers of deformed individuals, and it increases the chances of survival of these individuals that would be a lot lower had they been spawned in the wild.

Well, it is kind of startling when you come across deformed animals like that. There was a story in the paper a few years back of a deformed striped bass that was pulled out of Elephant Butte Reservoir. I wish I had scanned that photo, 'cause if a fish could suffer from severe Down's Syndrome, it would look like that striped bass.

Yeah, I ate the trout.

I don't think I would have eaten that striped bass, though.

mmm . . . double-mouthed trout
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Double-mouthed trout
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 06:39:26