Songs That Tell Stories

panzade

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 01:04 pm
@plainoldme,
Good one pom. I'll bet it was based on this article by Robert Scheer in 2010.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-scheer/no-banker-left-behind_b_474299.html
plainoldme

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 08:08 pm
@panzade,
It just might have been. I love the Civil War Era march sound it has. Ry Cooder must have had fun writing it
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 08:20 pm
Great song, pom. I love that raucous band he's got backing him on it.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 05:13 pm
Ry did a great story-song in Billy The Kid.Very complex mandolin work and usual stellar slide.

I'll sing you a true song of Billy the Kid
I'll sing the record of deeds that he did
Way out in New Mexico a long time ago
When a man's only friend was his own forty- four

Now when Billy the Kid was a very young lad
In old Silver City he went to the bad
Way out west with a knife in his hand
At the age of twelve years he killed his first man

Fair Mexican maidens play guitars and sing
Songs about Billy their boy bandit king
Before this young manhood reached its sad end
He'd a notch on his pistol for twenty one men

It was on one black night that poor Billy died
He said to his friends, "I'm not satisfied
There's twenty one men that I've put bullets through
And sheriff Pat Garrett's gonna make twenty-two"

Well, this is how Billy the Kid met his fate
A big moon was shining and the hour was late
Shot down by Pat Garrett, Silver City's best friend
The poor outlaw's life have reached its sad end
hingehead

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 05:21 pm
@panzade,
Reminds of Billy Joel's chestnut

I've always had a soft sport for a lyrical device that paints an echo of the first verse to the last verse in a completely different context so you see unthought of similarities, all very poetic. Like in this the six pack/six gun thing....

The Eagles Last Resort also does it very effectively in each verse but you only see it in the last verse....
panzade

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 05:59 pm
@hingehead,
good stuff
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 08:10 pm
Joan added new material to this song - quite effectively, I believe
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 08:37 pm

Doesn't Lenny Live Here Anymore?
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 09:12 pm
Edgar, I think all the words in Joan's version are actually Woody's, except she substitutes "Chicanos" for the original "all these friends". It's a pretty scathing song, and she does it well.

I may have posted this one before, I'm not sure, but it still gets to me every time I hear it. It's by Tish Hinojosa, Texas Mexican-American singer songwriter, who has relatives both Mexican and American who work the fields. It's kind of Woody's "Deportees" still the victims of exploitation sixty years later. The irony is, it's not "Something in the Rain", it's the pesticides they inhale and ingest working in the fields, which keep the plants healthy, but not the humans.

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 09:30 pm
Incidentally, pom, took awhile but I finally tracked a source for the June Tabor/oysterband CD, except it seems that it's not going to be released in the States until Oct. 18. The Fresh Pond Newbury Comics put in an order for it after locating it for me. They did have the Ry Cooder "Dust" now, though, so I got that--very helpful, friendly clerks, and I have upped my personal record for most facial piercings observed on a single individual after talking to them. A bunch of Newbury Comics on this end of the state--don't know if there are any on your end.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 07:39 am
@MontereyJack,
MJ
I was guilty of projecting. She began by changing 'peaches' to 'lettuce' and my mind took off from there. Thanks for setting it straight.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 09:02 am
HERE'S A STORY IN THE FORM OF MANY SONGS, NEARLY ALL OF WHICH WILL BE FAMILIAR.

THE PBS PROGRAM (MY CAT STOOD ON THE CAPS LOCK) Great Performances features Hugh Laurie who as most of us know as an actor (House, Black Adder, Wooster and Jeeves) but who is also a musician.

I'm not going to lie. I sought this show out because I always thought Hugh is hot, although, at 52, he's got serious circles under his eyes. But, he's a good pianist -- well, considering that this is traditional New Orleans blues and old timey jazz, piano player. Anyway, the show is called Hugh Laurie: Don't Listen to Talk.

Laurie is featured playing and singing (he knows how to sing but his voice isn't great) with some fabulous Louisiana legends. The music is so good, that I will watch the show again. Watch it on your computer if you have to by going to www.pbs.org
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 04:11 pm

Bert Jansch died today
plainoldme

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 05:28 am
@edgarblythe,
Lots of deaths in 24 hours. It's standing room only on the banks of the River Styx.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 11:23 am
I once coined the following: Get your kicks on the river Styx. Didn't want folks taking me seriously.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 11:53 am
@edgarblythe,
bummer. I heard Paul Simon play this tune and then found out it was by Bert Jansch and Davey Graham.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 06:33 pm
I listened to Angie earlier, Panz.
Thanks
neko nomad

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 09:19 am
@edgarblythe,
Here's one by Vaughn Monroe you probably have in your too worn out to play anymore stack, Ed.

Ragman

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 09:36 am
@edgarblythe,
Bummer about Jansch . I used to listen to him and John Renbourne. I think (but possibly mistaken on this partic album?) they were both in the folk-group '60s-'70s group Pentangle with Terry Cox. I have a nicely preserved lp of John R's efforts in the album 'John Renbourn - Sir John Alot Of Merrie England' (1968). http://folkyourself.blogspot.com/2010/11/john-renbourn-sir-john-alot-of-merrie.html

Apparently, Led Zep/Jimmy Page infamously stole Jansch's accompaniment arrangement of 'Black Mountainside'. The case never went to court because it would have required too much out-of-pocket legal expenses for the court battle by Bert as his record company wimped out on him.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 09:40 am
@neko nomad,
That's one I don't have. It makes me recall a film starring Broderick Crawford: The Last Posse. It's one of those movies of the time in which the central character will die, but first they have to tell the whole story. Crawford tells a gunman, "You won't shoot me. There are too many witnesses." But the guy does shoot him. After the whole situation gets resolved, Crawford's character expires. Crying or Very sad