Songs That Tell Stories

plainoldme

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:10 pm
A song which tells sort of a story . . . even if Stephen Stills is completely insane . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0rG2ME4sAc

Wooden Ships
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:10 pm
I tried to attend at least one Belafonte concert, but never got the chance. I did buy all of his albums from the first, through Jump Up[ Calypso, and then got Paradise in Gazankulu and Belafonte on Campus.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:12 pm
@plainoldme,
Wow! i was going to look up the lyrics but found this interesting story which those hipper than me probably have known for years:

ike Tom Lehrer's "We Will All Go Together When We Go" and Barry McGuire's "Eve of Destruction," the song seems to deal with ever-present fears of an apocalyptic nuclear war. In this interpretation, the words of the song depict the horrors confronting the survivors of a nuclear holocaust in which the two sides have annihilated each other. A man from one side stumbles upon a man from the other side and asks him "Who won?" To stay alive, they share purple berries that have presumably not been poisoned by radiation. The lyrics beg "silver people on the shoreline" to "let us be;" these are commonly held to be men wearing radiation suits. As wooden ships are carrying the survivors away, radiation poisoning kills those who have not made it aboard:
Horror grips us as we watch you die
All we can do is echo your anguished cries
Stare as all human feelings die
However, Stills has stated at music festivals that the song is actually about the Holocaust in Europe during World War II. Though the obscure lyrics do not refer specifically to the events of that particular war, the story of the song can then be interpreted as the meeting of two deserters, or two non-Jewish individuals, who are fleeing Europe to avoid either starvation or participation in anti-Semitic violence. In this context, the "silver people on the shoreline" may refer to Nazi soldiers; the Waffen-SS wore the standard grey uniforms of the German Wehrmacht. The lyrics "Horror grips us as we watch you die / All we can do is echo your anguished cries, / Stare as all human feelings die" could indicate that the characters in the song are observing a horrific slaughter, that of those whom Germany's government considered undesirable and indeed even subhuman, and yet can do nothing at all to prevent or even minimize it.
[edit]
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:22 pm
That's the thing about so many lyrics. They can be interpreted in different ways, yet they speak to us and are important.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
How true! I heard this song at my liquor store job today and remembered it fondly. Great music and great lyrics. Almost made a horrible job bearable.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:53 pm
I think that Wiki contributor was chewing peyote buttons. Anything Paul Kantner wrote in the 60's was a tortured scream against authority. Check out JA's Crown of Creation.
panzade

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 09:04 pm
@panzade,
However....Steve Stills might have had a different idea come to think of it.
It's weird. Kantner's version is more sedate.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:38 am
panzade

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:40 am
@trying2learn,
Funny! It was playing(real low) on my truck radio yesterday. I couldn't quite make out the story line. Could you explain it?
trying2learn

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 11:05 am
@panzade,
She said in an interview that she wrote that song when her boyfriend (one of the band members) and her were breaking up. She didn't want to talk about the breakup because it hurt to think about it.
panzade

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 12:43 pm
@trying2learn,
Thanks!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 02:43 pm
@trying2learn,
Nice one, trying2.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 10:22 am
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 11:56 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 01:07 pm
Thanks for Babe. Didn't see it posted, but will listen shortly. I came here to post a remarkable video behind another song that tells a story.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 07:53 pm
panzade

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 08:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
Jimmie had it goin' on
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 08:12 pm
@panzade,
I've come to respect Jimmy more and more.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 08:17 pm
Here's another great story by Jimmy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 08:24 pm
I considered that song before selecting the one I played.