Songs That Tell Stories

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 04:50 am
@TTH,
I have to leave shortly, but will listen to these tributes later today.
TTH

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 08:53 am
@edgarblythe,
A special Tribute

End of Watch: Monday, October 16, 1995
Gone But Not Forgotten
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 03:56 pm
The tribute requires more background, for those of us who can't recall the details. I believe the gunman was eventually captured. - edgarblythe

LAKEWOOD, Wash. - Four uniformed police officers were shot and killed in a bloody Sunday morning attack at a Lakewood-area coffee shop, and investigators are seeking a person of interest in the killings, officials said.
Pierce County Sheriff's Office spokesman Ed Troyer said the person they are seeking is Maurice Clemmons, who is a fugitive from Arkansas with a lengthy criminal record.

Investigators now believe the gunman also may have been shot during the cold-blooded assault, as one of the officers returned fire just before he died of his injuries.

Pierce County Sheriff's Office spokesman Ed Troyer called the assault "a targeted attack" on the four Lakewood police officers as they were preparing to start their shifts at about 8:15 a.m.

Officials determined to find the gunman posted a $100,000 reward leading to his capture and arrest.

Troyer said investigators have learned that the gunman stood in line the Forza Coffee Co. outlet at 11401 Steele St. South as if he were there to buy some coffee.

When he reached the counter, the barista saw him pull a gun our of his coat. She fled, thinking the gunman was about to target her.

Instead, he turned and fired point-blank at the four uniformed officers as they were working on their laptop computers.

Two officers were hit before they had to react. One officer was shot as he attempted to struggle with the gunman. Another officer fired off some shots toward the gunman as he fled, and may have hit him, Troyer said.

"We believe there was a struggle, a commotion, a fight ... that he fought the guy all the way out the door," Troyer said. "We hope the suspect was shot, because that would tell us who it is. There aren't a whole lot of people running around with gunshot wounds." Two baristas and a handful of other customers were inside the coffee shop at the time of the attack, but none of them were shot or injured. The suspect fled without taking any money.

Troyer described the scene inside the coffee shop as "carnage and a scene out of a horror movie."

Three male officers and one female officer all died at the scene, despite the fact that they were wearing bullet-proof vests. "They were just flat executed," Troyer said. "Walk in with the specific mindset to shoot police officers."

State Attorney General Rob McKenna termed the shootings an "assassination." Officials said a handgun was used in the shooting, but they have not identified the make or caliber of the weapon.

Troyer said officers were looking for one male suspect who fled the scene and haven't ruled out an accomplice, possibly a getaway driver.

About 2 1/2 hours after the deadly ambush, officers identified a white Chevy pickup truck abandoned at 134th Street and Pacific Avenue South that is believed to be the one that the suspect fled in.

Soon after, there was a standoff reported between officers and one or more people inside a residence a few blocks away, but it turned out to have no connection with the case, police said.

A $120,000 reward is being offered for any information leading to the arrest of the suspect or any possible accomplices, Troyer said. An emergency tip line has been set up, at 866-977-2362, for callers to report any helpful information.

Troyer encouraged anyone who knows someone with an unexplained gunshot wound to call the tip line.

The suspect was described as a black male in his mid-20s to mid-30s, standing 5-foot-7 to 5-foot-10, medium build, with scruffy facial hair, wearing blue jeans and a black coat with a hood.

Troyer said the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department initially responded to a 911 call of shots fired at the Forza Coffee Co. outlet at 11401 Steele St. S. in Parkland.

When deputies arrived, they found the four Lakewood police officers shot and killed inside the coffee shop, he said.

"Two baristas and a few customers were inside the coffee shop at the time of the shooting. They were not injured but all are in shock and traumatized. It appears the officers were targeted and ambushed by the suspect," Troyer said in a statement.

Within minutes of the first 911 call, hundreds of investigators and police were rushing to the scene. Roads were blocked in the vicinity of the attack.

"I've never seen so many cops," said one witness as officers converged on the area.

The coffee shop where the shootings took place is owned by Brad Carpenter, a retired police officer, KOMO News has confirmed.

The incident is being investigated by the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department, with assistance from the Tacoma Police Department, Lakewood Police Department, the Pierce County Department of Emergency Management and the Washington State Patrol Crime Lab, Troyer said.

"There will be a large police presence in Pierce County throughout the day as large numbers of law enforcement follow up on leads and tips," he said. "The public in urged to stay away from any police activity."

McKenna said he is turning all the resources of his office toward finding and prosecuting the gunman.

"I have directed all of the criminal justice resources of this office ... be made available to those conducting the investigation into these assassinations," McKenna said. "Our prosecutors and investigators stand ready to help bring those who committed this murderous act to justice."

A prayer vigil for the four slain Lakewood police officers is being held at 6 p.m. Sunday at the Champions Centre, a nondenominational Christian church, at 1819 E. 72nd St., in Tacoma with seating for 3,000.

Pastor Sue Kahawaii says the congregation includes Lakewood officers and Pierce County sheriff's deputies. She says the vigil will include guided prayers and give people a place to express grief.

The deadly shootings come less than a month after Seattle Police Officer Timothy Brenton was shot to death in cold blood as he was sitting in a cruiser with trainee Britt Sweeney on Halloween night. Sweeney was grazed in the neck.

Christopher Monfort of Tukwila has been charged with aggravated first-degree murder in connection with Brenton's death.

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 04:40 pm
Haven't looked through all 40 pages to see what's been suggested before this. If these are duplicates, well then never mind. Razz

Just about every song of Chapin's tells a timeless story. He died much too young.
TTH

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 04:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
1st Tribute to Seattle PD - Two police officers shot while sitting in the patrol car. One officer was killed and the other was grazed by the gunfire. The gunman was found and shot resulting in him being paralyzed and facing charges.

2nd Tribute to Lakewood PD- Four officers met at the coffee shop prior to the start of their shift. Gunman walks in and shows the barista his gun and then turns and shoots the officers in the head killing 3 immediately. One officer was able to shoot the gunman and was also shot. They fought and the gunman then shot and killed that officer. A seattle officer was checking an abandoned car call in the evening. It was dark out. He sensed someone was walking up behind him and turned around recognizing the gunman wanted in the Lakewood killings. As the gunman reached for the gun he had on him, the Seattle officer was able to pull his gun out and shoot the gunman resulting in the gunman's death.

3rd Tribute to Pierce County Sheriff's Dept.- Two deputies were on a call of an unwanted person at a residence. The gunman was cooperative with the deputies and agreed to leave the premises. The deputies even offered to give him a ride. The gunman went into a room to supposedly grab his coat (I think). The gunman then came back and shot Nick in the face and turned the gun on Kent and shot him multiple times. Kent was able to return fire killing the gunman. Nick is recovering.

4th Tribute to John- He was involved in serving a search warrant at a residence (I believe it was the swat team serving the warrant). After entering, the gunman came out of a room shooting John through the side. John was able to crawl down the hall and into an adjoining room. The gunman followed and shot John in the head killing him instantly. That gunman was convicted.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 05:06 pm
Sorry. Trying to keep up.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 05:46 pm
@Butrflynet,
I liked both Chapin and Croce.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 08:37 pm
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 01:12 am
@edgarblythe,
Unfortunately too many bad things happening in our community right now. Not just here, in too many places. Senseless killings hurting so many people. People are asking why? I have no answer to give them.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 03:41 pm
When in Rome

panzade

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 04:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
good stuff from a dear departed master.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 04:39 pm
@panzade,
The album that appeared on was my first real introduction to the man. Prior, I just knew slightly of him.
panzade

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 06:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
I had a friend who raved about Ochs version of The Highwayman by Alfred Noyes on Ochs second album "I Ain't Marchin Anymore"
I was a fan from then on.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 07:32 pm
@panzade,
Someone else set The Highwayman to music but I can't remember who it was. A woman. Perhaps, Cate CAmpbell/

I remember Charles LAughton reading The Highwayman on the Ed Sullivan Show. I had to have been 8. Loved that poem since.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 07:34 pm
There are other versions of The Highwayman on youtube. letty played one on her a2k radio thread and I responded with the Ochs version.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 09:54 pm
When I was maybe 10, went to a Saturday matinee, when they still had them, and the movie they showed was "The Highwayman", very heroic, very swashbuckling, very romantic, very sad at the end, and it had ghosts, what more could a kid ask for. The credits said it was based on a poem by Alfred Lord Noyes, so I went home and went up to the attic and looked through my grandfather's barrister bookshelves with the glass fronts--that somewhere along the way my parents got rid of--until I found his poetry collection books, and found the poem, and remembered it for two decades until Phil Ochs turned it into a song, and I LOVED it then and still do. Don't think anyone has released the movie on DVD yet. That remains somewhat of a mystery.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 10:00 pm
Here's one that gets me every time I hear it

Tom Paxton, "The Bravest"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 07:54 pm
I just got to your post, mj. That's a rough one to watch. Great song.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 08:03 pm

Not exactly a story, but -

War In Peace

It's a joy to know you're resting in peace
War in peace, what a funny combination
Will come to separation
Since you believe

Good old spice it's nice to see you last, you're ahead
War in peace, what a funny combination
Will come to your coronation
This is clear

It's a joy to see you in your red risen dead
Risen dead will cross another generation
And the cosmic federation
Sees you clear
panzade

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 06:02 am
@edgarblythe,
I seem to remember him in The Jefferson Airplane band.
0 Replies