Songs That Tell Stories

Letty

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 12:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
Love that one by Marty, edgar. Great ballad.

Here's another.

http://home.comcast.net/~singingman8/MAC01.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIz7WWDxy20&feature=related
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 02:07 pm
I like the Adobe Hacienda song, letty. First time I heard it by the browns.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 09:43 pm
"Amazing Grace" is a Christian hymn with lyrics written by the English poet and clergyman John Newton (1725–1807), published in 1779. With a message that forgiveness and redemption are possible regardless of the sins people commit and that the soul can be delivered from despair through the mercy of God, "Amazing Grace" is one of the most recognizable songs in the English-speaking world.

Newton wrote the words from personal experience. He grew up without any particular religious conviction but his life's path was formed by a variety of twists and coincidences that were often put into motion by his recalcitrant insubordination. He was pressed into the Royal Navy and became a sailor, eventually participating in the slave trade. One night a terrible storm battered his vessel so severely that he became frightened enough to call out to God for mercy, a moment that marked the beginning of his spiritual conversion. His career in slave trading lasted a few years more until he quit going to sea altogether and began studying theology.

Ordained in the Church of England in 1764, Newton became curate of Olney, Buckinghamshire, where he began to write hymns with poet William Cowper. "Amazing Grace" was written to illustrate a sermon on New Year's Day of 1773. It is unknown if there was any music accompanying the verses, and it may have been chanted by the congregation without music. It debuted in print in 1779 in Newton and Cowper's Olney Hymns, but settled into relative obscurity in England. In the United States however, "Amazing Grace" was used extensively during the Second Great Awakening in the early 19th century. It has been associated with more than 20 melodies, but in 1835 it was joined to a tune named "New Britain" to which it is most frequently sung today.

Author Gilbert Chase writes that "Amazing Grace" is "without a doubt the most famous of all the folk hymns",[1] and Jonathan Aitken, a Newton biographer, estimates that it is performed about 10 million times annually.[2] It has had particular influence in folk music, and become an emblematic African American spiritual. Its universal message has been a significant factor in its crossover into secular music. "Amazing Grace" saw a resurgence in popularity in the U.S. during the 1960s and has been recorded thousands of times during and since the 20th century, sometimes appearing on popular music charts.

0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 11:07 pm
Here's a good follow up to Amazing Grace:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQiu9msoq5M&feature=autoplay&list=PLA9E0D4B76212C7DF&lf=plpp_play_all&playnext=3

Notice how well the Lego figures have been made to resemble the characters, esp. Fred.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 07:31 pm
I listened to your song last night, POM. Here is a follow up.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 07:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
I can see the link! Although Fred is sexier in his song, I always loved Harry. When he calls everyone to sing one more time, I just have to smile.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 07:59 pm
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 11:24 pm
Good Fred Eaglesmith vid, my favorite iconoclast, pom. Ironically the popup ad at the bottom of the page was "Interested in Becoming a Minister? Christian Education.com. FREE information on great programs in Christian Ministry..." I think Fred might cackle a little bit at that.

Got the new Springsteen "Wrecking Ball" on Saturday and have listened to it five times since. It's stellar. If Woody Guthrie had been born thirty years later he might have been Bruce Springsteen. Definitely it rocks, but in kind of a folk-rocky way, a bit of Pogues, a bit of oysterband, a bit of gospel in it. A lot of the songs are his take on the greed that led to the last couple years of economic meltdown, and the effect it's had on people. Couple definite stories in the songs, but so far can only find a video of one song, which I think Bruce or his people did, not a story song, but a great topical song, which I think would make a great campaign song for Obama, in contrast to the self-centered short sightedness so evident in the last few months of primary season.

It's an MTV video, and if we can embed them I don't know how, so just have a link:
http://www.mtv.com/videos/bruce-springsteen/733614/we-take-care-of-our-own.jhtml#artist=975

And here's an older Springsteen one, a long-time favorite of mine, inspired by the semi-derelict New Jersey mill towns he grew up among, which had fallen on hard times when the fat cat company owners moved their operations South in search of cheap labor, and left their ex-employees in the lurch.

Ha! In the last couple hours someone has done a video of "Death to My Hometown" from the new CD, which is a sort of story song, maybe an update to "My Hometown" twenty years later and much more searingly angry.

Get this one, pom, you'll like it.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 11:45 pm
okay, they got the one I'd sourced to MTV up on youTube with lyrics, Barack, are you listening--use this as a campaign song:

0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 11:28 pm
@MontereyJack,
Might be worthwhile. I locked myself in my unheated office, writing about dead people while listening to Adele. Definitely a tear inducer.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 06:55 pm
Love "the boss", M.J.

a different approach.

http://media.smithsonianmag.com/images/indelible_mainmay04.jpg

The Selfish Giant by Oscar Wilde.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToqFqxP5o4w
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 08:44 pm
It's an interesting story, letty. I am not sure the final scene ties well with the rest of it. But maybe it's because I seek more naturalistic themes, mostly.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 05:34 pm
Letty

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 11:22 am
@edgarblythe,
edgar, The Selfish Giant was like the thief on the cross. "this day shalt thou dwell with me in paradise." The child, of course, was Jesus who had been reincarnated to be with the giant when he died.

Love that one by Leonard. Yes, Abraham was ready to sacrifice his son, and Leonard's metaphor had to do with war and sacrifice.

Inspired by Judy Collins' Shoot First and the last few bars of the Minstrel Boy, here's another poem/song that tells a story.

http://www.luminarium.org/renlit/stmore.jpg

The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone
In the ranks of death you will find him;
His father's sword he hath girded on,
And his wild harp slung behind him;
"Land of Song!" said the warrior bard,
"Tho' all the world betrays thee,
One sword, at least, thy rights shall guard,
One faithful harp shall praise thee!"

The Minstrel fell! But the foeman's chain
Could not bring that proud soul under;
The harp he lov'd ne'er spoke again,
For he tore its chords asunder;
And said "No chains shall sully thee,
Thou soul of love and brav'ry!
Thy songs were made for the pure and free,
They shall never sound in slavery!"

Verse added later:

The Minstrel Boy will return we pray
When we hear the news, we all will cheer it,
The minstrel boy will return one day,
Torn perhaps in body, not in spirit.
Then may he play on his harp in peace,
In a world such as Heaven intended,
For all the bitterness of man must cease,
And ev'ry battle must be ended.

Now, the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdA4NlJiikM

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 12:02 pm
@Letty,
That was one I did not know, letty.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 08:10 pm
@Letty,
If you saw the film, The Man Who Would Be King, based on the Rudyard Kipling story, you'd have seen Sean Connery sing this at several points. Michael Caine also starred and they became great friends with the director John Huston. A wonderful film worth watching again and again
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 08:25 pm
Alas. I did not get to see the movie.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 08:49 am
@edgarblythe,
I've been having a hankering to see it again. I looked for it last night on hulu. I'm not certain what is happening on netflicks but I can not afford to subscribe even if it would serve my purposes.

It's a great movie. The three stars (add Christopher Plummer to Caine and Connery) were all at the top of their game. What makes it so wonderful is that Caine and Connery are clearly enjoying themselves. They like and identify with their characters.

In many ways, the movie has the same spirit as Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou? A group of rogues and misfits find adventure and the audience has a wonderful time along with way.

In fact, if I didn't have papers to check, laundry to do and a kitchen to clean today as well as a couple of personal tasks, I would watch both if I had access to them!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 08:30 pm

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 07:31 pm