Girl's miracle escape from lightning strike

Reyn

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 05:41 pm
A jaw-dropping, "Wow!".

I wonder if an incident like that has the power (no pun intended) to change one's life? Thoughts?

Girl's miracle escape from lightning strike

A Russian teenager survived a lightning strike which was so powerful it vaporised a gold cross on her neck.

The bolt hit Marina Motygina, 16, from Ekaterinburg in western Russia on the top of her head and seared through her body into the ground.

The necklace she had been wearing was 'atomised', leaving burns in the shape of a cross on her neck, Komsomolskaya Pravda reported.

Only a couple of links of the chain could be found.

A doctor at the local hospital who treated her said: "It is a miracle she has survived. She is fine now but will be staying in hospital for another two weeks.

"But she will have deep scars on her neck where the cross was for the rest of her life."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 499 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 05:51 pm
I suppose someone who wanted to dig enough online could find it, but there was a Park Ranger who worked (i believe) in Virginia who was struck by lightening six times, at least. When he became notorious for being struck by lightening five times, he was invited to appear on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. He was struck a sixth time between getting the invitation and appearing on the show.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 05:53 pm
I seem to remember that story. May have even posted it somewhere along the way.

Thanks for refreshing my memory.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 05:54 pm
Call that lucky? What about the scar?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 05:55 pm
A few scars are better than dead, in my book. Perhaps plastic surgery can help with the scars.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 05:57 pm
Here ya go . . . Roy Sullivan was struck by lightning seven times. I guess i missed one.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 05:59 pm
Thanks again for that. I'll copy it here for posterity, just in case the link goes dead at some point.

---------------------------------

Roy Sullivan was a forest ranger in Virginia who is recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records as being the most lightning-struck (stricken?) person ever recorded in history. Over a 35-year span, he survived seven separate lightning strikes. (The last one didn't kill him; he took his own life, supposedly over a love gone wrong.)

1942: The first lightning strike shot through Roy's leg and blew his big toenail off.

1969: 27 years after the first incident, Roy's second strike burned off his eyebrows and knocked him unconscious.

1970: Another strike burned his left shoulder. By this point, people were already starting to call Roy the "Human Lightning Rod."

1972: Roy's hair was set on fire; he had to dump a bucket of water over his head. This convinced him to keep a container of water in his truck at all times, just in case.

1973: Another thunderbolt ripped through his hat and hit him on the head, set his hair on fire again (the water came in handy), threw him out of his truck and knocked his left shoe off.

1976: A sixth strike left him with an injured ankle.

1977: The last one got him while he was fishing, and sent him to the hospital with chest and stomach burns.

Roy was born on February 7, 1912, and his astrological chart reportedly does show a prominence of "lightning planets." I could find no other biographical information on the man, except the fact that he never did understand what was up with all the lightning.

The average person's chances of being struck by lightning vary due to location and personal habits. Estimated chances of being struck (once) are estimated at one in 600,000.

The Guinness World Exhibit Halls have two of Roy's lightning-singed ranger hats on display.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:00 pm
The '70s were not good years for Roy. I wonder if he ever won at a lottery?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:02 pm
I don't know about that, but he shot himself in 1983--apparently, according to the New York Times, because of unrequited love . . . at age 71 . . . huh . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:03 pm
I've been reading up on thunderstorms/lightening lately, since we hardly ever had them in west Los Angeles, and a mere few in my part of northern California. Now I live in a thunder state. Doh, I haven't remembered the rules from my childhood in parts east. And while I've been reading up, I keeping noticing stuff in the paper - since I'm suddenly interested. There was the girl who was hit because either she was carrying a cell phone or it was on, I forget. Think she was in England..
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Girl's miracle escape from lightning strike
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 06:44:19