Sabre-toothed rabbits once roamed Outback

Reyn

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 12:11 pm
Sabre-toothed rabbits once roamed Outback

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) - Before there were cuddly koalas, hordes of flesh-eating rabbits, "demon ducks" and marsupial lions roamed Australia's Outback, recent fossil discoveries by paleontologists show.

A team of researchers from the University of New South Wales working in the eastern state Queensland made the discoveries in three new fossil deposits during a recent two-week dig.

Many of the fossils are older than 24 million years; one of the deposits is thought to contain fossils up to 500 million years old, said Prof. Mike Archer, the university's dean of science.

A sabre-toothed rabbit and a giant three-metre-tall, 400-kilogram bird scientists nicknamed the "demon duck of doom" were among the largely unknown species uncovered in the dig, Archer said Wednesday.

"They were galloping rabbits, they didn't hop," Archer said.

"They were also far more muscly than the rabbits we know, with sharp sabre-like incisors and powerful forelimbs to help rip and tear their prey."

The remains of ancient tree-climbing crocodiles and marsupial lions were also uncovered in the rocks.

Archer said many of the animals were similar or related to others elsewhere in the world but had evolved uniquely in Australia. Hundreds have no living representative.

"They are that bizarre. There are, literally, probably in the order of about 500 extinct creatures in these rocks," he said.

Archer said a detailed study of the fossils is expected to provide answers about the evolution of climate and creatures in the past, as well as about the directions they might follow over thousands of years to come.

"The biggest excitement is what's going to happen over the next year in the labs as the rocks dissolve and the treasure inside emerges," he said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 821 • Replies: 11
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 12:13 pm
OOooOooOOOoooOOOooohhhh!
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 12:19 pm
TIM: "That's no ordinary rabbit! That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on! Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide, it's a killer! He's got huge, sharp... he can leap about... look at the BONES!"

littlek wrote:
OOooOooOOOoooOOOooohhhh!

"No, it's 'uuuuaaaagghhh'... back of the throat."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 12:36 pm
Oh, the inhumanity. Carrots slashed by those sabre teeth and wolfed like so many Chiclets.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:10 pm
They were NOT really rabbits.

You all so like to look on the dark side, don't you?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:17 pm
There's no need to feel embarrassed by one's ancestry. Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:23 pm
They are not my ancestors. They were marsupials.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:25 pm
I have a holy hand grenade and I'm coming for dlowan.

But first I must count to three, not two, not four, for three is the number that does something special or ...... something.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:27 pm
Miss Wabbit, you're among friends. There's no need to indulge a silly shame. Get in touch with your marsupial side--embrace your inner nature.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:35 pm
There are no pouches in my inner self.

I have goddamned POCKETS, like a civilised creature.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 06:52 pm
Artist's rendering of Dlowan on nights of the full moon . . .

http://photos.figures.com/photo/1/data/583/1Sabre_Toothed_Rabbit.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 07:05 pm
http://games-all.com/dogs/dog-ass.jpg

Setanta in contemplative mood......

:wink:
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Sabre-toothed rabbits once roamed Outback
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 06:39:03