Fun website for bibliophiles

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 10:17 am
My hometown library is sponsoring a summer reading contest for adults that involves a tic-tac-toe inspired game. I won't go into the details now, but, one of the reading categories is called, "Memories," and is reserved for books that were best sellers through the course of the 20th Century.

The site is:

www.caderbooks.com/bestintro.html

It's fun to read the lists of best sellers which are ordered by decades. So far, I have only looked into the first two decades of the century and find many names mysterious!

Besides, the lists would make great teaching tools.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 940 • Replies: 2
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 10:22 am
Some of the early books have familiar titles: When Knighthood Was in Flower; To Have and To Hold; Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch; Pollyanna.

There are authors that are studied in both literature and history classes: Edith Wharton, Winston Churchill, Ellen Glasgow, Upton Sinclair.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 04:04 pm
I remember looking at a book rack in a department store -- perhaps Montgomery Ward's, perhaps Federal's -- in Dearborn, MI when I was about 10 years old and seeing a book and wondering if a best seller can be literature.

The same topic came up many years later when I was in grad school, studying literature. The book was the same: Henderson the Rain King.
0 Replies