Moving day

Chai

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 09:53 am
I don't have time to read it right now either Noddy, but it looks really interesting.

That's how I see myself, as simple (no jokes please) Surprised

It's not about the saving a few dollars here and a few dollars there just for the sake of putting it under the mattress. For me it affords me the freedom to NOT have to buy the generic brand of something, when I know I have a definite preference for something else.

That makes me think of another thread going on right now, about tipping. I like to tip where appropriate, and I also like being able to give an amount worth giving. I figure everyone is out there working hard and they don't desire to be made to feel small and not worth it by someone who won't take an extra dollar out of their pocket.

That's part of having a simple life too. Being able to give back too. Anyway, back to generics, sure, I'm not going to buy a brand name milk when the store brand came from a cow too. Just depends on the product. Sometimes the generic brand is even better.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 10:06 am
A small one to add that you probably know -- I'm doing a lot of summer clothes shopping for sozlet now -- for NEXT year. I do that season by season, buy at the end of a season for the next season. The kid keeps pace with the sizes pretty well (as in, she's usually a size bigger in a year), so it works out well. She's pretty much set for back-to-school clothes in her current size from shopping I did last year...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 11:39 am
Frugal living is as much an attitude as anything else.

Mr. Noddy's family is big-big-big on birthday cards, so two or three times a year I hit the local Hallmark store and stock up (using coupons).

To get to the card rack at the back of the story I have to pass rack after rack of gimcracks and geegaws--mass produced sentiment-in-a-box (although the box is often $.50 extra).

The malls are full of people who shop for recreation--and having passed up six or sixteen or sixty items that they don't need, they sucumb and spend "only" $5 or $10 or $20 because they have "saved" so much money by not buying other stuff they don't need.

If you don't want to dust it, don't buy it.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 07:22 pm
Shop for groceries only after a meal.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 07:47 pm
Woohooo....... Shewolfpack's moving! I haven't been keeping up as well as I should. But, like the other, I know you can do this. And, unfortunately, I don't have any tips on frugality.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 02:42 pm
Actually..
( a little side-ish note)

I just talked to Geogre and I got the absolute confirmation I have been waiting for.
The apt IS ours.
There was noone else waiting.
THe tennants are currently moving, and should be out by the 1st or 2nd of August.
He is depositing our check right now.

Cool
I dont know why I was worried about that but.. Smile I was.. and now I dont have to.
My cousin found us a washer and dryer set used for 150 through a friends sister. She is moving and doesnt want to take the set.
It is 3 years old.
He also has a truck and is willing to help.
I have.. goodness knows how many people offering to help us get out and I am thinking, if I ask everyone.. we could reasonably move every piece of furniture we have in less then one day with all of my friends.

( whew )

OK .. any-who.

Quote:
Most supermarkets operate on a six-week-sale cycle.

This I did not know?
And it makes perfect sense now that I think about it.
Great tip.

I am choosing generic brands for a few reasons.
As you said chai, it is so I can afford the brand names I like when it comes to certain things.
I just have not tried ENOUGH generic brands yet to know wich is a reliable, comfortable switch and wich isnt.

For example-
Canned corn.
We love corn and use it in breads, and quite a few stir fry dishes that we love.

Right now we buy it from central market , their organic brand for 2.80 a bag.
We get one of those a week. ( Bean also loves to just sit and snack on peas and corn after school as well... )
That is about 10 dollars a month in corn.

I see generic brands in cans for 40cents a can.
2 cans would be enough for our needs in a week and save me.. 9+ dollars.
But does it taste as good? Will it be that crisp little bit of sweetness that we enjoy, or will it destroy the whole meal?

Paper towels are another thing.
Are they as crappy as generic toilet paper?

One brand name I will NOT sacrifice is Tide laundry soap.
So, generic brands nees to come into play some where so I can afford that Tide.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 03:42 pm
Not only will your Sunday newspaper have coupons, you'll have all the supermarket fliers--and drugstore fliers and department store fliers and discount store fliers--in one place.

Also: Google for the brand/s of disposable diapers that Bean uses. Diaper websites frequently have print-out coupons.

For that matter, Google "grocery coupons" and see what comes up.

Hunters and Gatherers of the World, Unite!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 03:48 pm
You are correct...do not EVER use anything but Tide.

WOW - a washer & drier....that is a Godsend! And only 3 years old!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 05:41 pm
I'm fond of Sears laundry detergent--no fillers, no stretchers and a 25 pound container washes for two very clean adults for 7-8 months. It goes on sale for $23 every so often.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 07:07 pm
You know Chai,
Tide is so concentrated that you can use exactly 1/2 the recommended amount on a full load and STILL get everything clean, and it still cleans off stains.

I can do that with Jillians clothes and no stains.

I can stretch a container of tide for almost 3 months and still do at least one large load of laundry every other day.

Sears has a laundry detergent?
I never heard of it. At a dollar a pound, that might be cheaper then Tide?!

I think I am going to have to go buy a sunday paper every week.
Having one delivered to an upstairs apt may prove to be a problem.

If they dont actually PUT it at my door step, it is a free paper for someone else..
We are walking distance from H.E.B so I will just get it there.

I never thought to look for grocery coupons online.. that is another great tip. Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 07:29 pm
shewolf--

Check out prices. Subscription is cheaper, even when you pay the delivery person.

You can request that the paper be left on the doorstep--or inside the screen door.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 02:37 pm
From the morning newspaper:

www.CouponMom.com

Sear's Laundry Detergent:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/subcat.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=APPL&cat=Washers+%26+Dryers&subcat=Detergents+%26+Cleansers&keyword=Detergent
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 02:44 pm
you read my mind. Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 12:40 pm
From the morning paper:

www.theDollarStretcher.com
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 07:44 pm