Man Charged for Putting Boa in Mailbox

Reyn

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 08:02 pm
Man Charged for Putting Boa in Mailbox

FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich. - A man's idea of a joke, putting a pet 6-foot boa constrictor in his mailbox to startle a mail carrier, could bring him time behind bars.

"It was an incredibly stupid practical joke that wasn't funny," said James R. Mell, 31, an auto mechanic from the Detroit suburb of Farmington Hills.

Mell put the snake in his mailbox July 7, The Detroit News said.

"I thought it was funny. Looking back on it, it isn't, and it wasn't," he said.

On Monday, federal prosecutors charged Mell with obstructing the delivery of the U.S. mail. The charge carries a penalty of up to six months in prison.

Postal carrier Nakeema Anderson was making her rounds when she opened Mell's mailbox and faced the snake, court records say.

"Anderson reported observing a white male in the driveway laughing," said a report from U.S. postal inspector Andrew Gottfried.

Mell wrote a letter apologizing to Anderson and said he hoped that would settle the matter.

"It was something stupid that a 10-year-old would do, and I'm sorry," Mell said.

The pet snake is not poisonous, does not bite and has tiny teeth, the newspaper said.

"It will only strike at something that it can actually eat," Mell said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 297 • Replies: 8
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 09:34 pm
Ah, yes. I recall my sister putting a dead possum in a neighbor's mailbox. He and the post office were not amused.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 09:43 pm
Are you sure it was your sister, you wascal? :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 09:45 pm
Such pranks were not my style.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 09:47 pm
Okay, so what kind of pranks did you play then? Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 09:50 pm
Making potato guns and robbing kindergardeners.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 09:55 pm
haha, Now that's more like it! Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 10:10 pm
At least the possum was already dead. I hate to think of the heat in a mailbox in a summer like this. Was the boa okay?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 05:00 am
During the time I served in the Navy, my youngest brothers and sisters played many such pranks. Built a snowman on a big rock in the middle of the road, threw a frog with a lighted firecracker into someone's car as they drove past, put out a roadside sign that read Jesus heals - so do dogs. Too many to recall.

The recipient of the exploded frog chased the children (two or three) a couple of miles, but in those heavily wooded areas never got close to them.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Man Charged for Putting Boa in Mailbox
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 04:30:11