Town hires company to harass geese

Reyn

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 06:28 pm
Yup, I know the colour of this tale. Our local geese make a fowl mess of our main park here.

I like this idea.

Town hires company to harass geese

GREENWICH, Conn. - Annoyed by the mess that geese leave on town beaches and park lawns, the town has hired a company to harass them until they move elsewhere.

Geese Relief, a Norwalk-based company, is receiving $5,000 under a preliminary contract, and town officials are drawing up a full-year pact.

Company owner Chris Santopietro's border collies have spent the past few weeks finding and chasing the Canadian geese out of town parks and off beaches. The work will take place nearly year-round, except in winter's coldest months.

The idea is to harass the geese until they return to Long Island Sound.

"You have to be more persistent than the geese and it's not a quick cure - it's an ongoing thing," Santopietro told The Greenwich Time.

Last year, Greenwich started using border collies to control the non-migratory Canadian geese. But the college students in charge of the dogs returned to school, so the town decided to hire the company as a longer-term solution.

"We want them indoctrinated, to continually think that they're not safe here," Town Conservation Director Denise Savageau said of the geese.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 304 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 07:25 pm
They need to start a recipe contest.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 07:52 pm
I wouldn't want the geese injured in any way, but I think to have them moved is a good idea.

Here in our park, too many morons give them handouts, and then they get used to that behaviour.

And, they really do make a horrible mess of things when so many congregate.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 08:19 pm
Couldn't they wait till they were molting, and kind of herd them into an oven, a heh heh, I mean a safer refuge?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 09:33 pm
I hate them geeses to pieces.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 09:42 pm
I get nervous when a flock of them fly overhead. Shocked
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 09:44 pm
Maybe I'm just ignerent, but ... our Humboldt County whaddayacallit areas, bird sanctuaries, were chock full, at certain times of year, of geese...
but that is where they landed and stayed.

As far as I know.

I suppose I'll be corrected, but it was true in my admittedly limited observation.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 09:46 pm
Just speaking of my general area of B.C., we have many different locations where geese gather, but dispite that, they still come to park areas.

I suppose it's for the same reasons one can see seagulls so far inland.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 06:03 am
Reyn wrote:
I wouldn't want the geese injured in any way, but I think to have them moved is a good idea.

Here in our park, too many morons give them handouts, and then they get used to that behaviour.

And, they really do make a horrible mess of things when so many congregate.

Not injured. Killed. Stuffed and Roasted.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Town hires company to harass geese
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 04:30:57