Anybody notice that Mickey Spillaine

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 04:54 pm
died? I will get the story and post it here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,597 • Replies: 9
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 04:56 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 09:26 pm
Hmm. I spelled his name wrong. Oh, well...

Here is Spillane's Mike Hammer website:
http://www.interlog.com/~roco/hammer.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 04:39 am
Ah, Mickey, the sexy girl angels are about to throw their semi nude bodies at you. Be strong, dude.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 04:40 am
I read that this morning.I cant say I know him but I enjoyed the Mike Hammer programmes when I was younger.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 05:36 am
Quote:
Mickey Spillane
1918 - 2006

Novelist behind Mike Hammer

Prolific mystery writer defied critics with `lurid' and `vicious' novels

Los Angeles Times
Published July 18, 2006

Mickey Spillane, whose Mike Hammer private-eye novels generated a post-World War II storm of literary criticism for their sex and violence and made him one of the best-selling authors of the 20th Century, died Monday. He was 88.

Mr. Spillane, who lived more than 50 years in the South Carolina coastal fishing village of Murrells Inlet, died "peacefully at his house with his family," said Brian Edgerton of Goldfinch Funeral Home. The cause of death was not disclosed.

A former comic-book writer and Army Air Forces veteran, the Brooklyn-born Mr. Spillane arrived on the literary scene in 1947 with the publication of his first novel, "I, the Jury," which introduced his tough-guy New York City private detective.

With his wartime best friend having been found murdered as the novel opens, Hammer vows to find out who did it and let the killer have it the same way his pal got it, with "a .45 slug to the gut, just a little below the belly button."

"I, the Jury" was blasted by the critics. Mystery authority Anthony Boucher called it a "vicious . . . glorification of force, cruelty and extra-legal methods." And the Saturday Review magazine denounced its "lurid action, lurid characters, lurid plot, lurid finish."

For his part, Mr. Spillane let the critical barbs roll off him like Jack Daniels over ice.

"I pay no attention to those jerks who think they're critics," he proclaimed in one interview. In another, he said: "I don't give a hoot about reading reviews. What I want to read is the royalty checks."

First published in hardback by E.P. Dutton, "I, the Jury" did not become a worldwide success until it was released as a 25-cent Signet paperback. By 1952, some 4 million copies reportedly had been sold.

Its success led to a dozen more Mike Hammer mysteries over the decades.

The stocky, 5-foot-8 writer with a bull neck and trademark crew cut had a theatrical flair for self-promotion. He played himself as a detective hired by wild animal trainer Clyde Beatty to solve a circus mystery in the 1954 film "Ring of Fear," and he played a best-selling writer threatened with murder on a 1974 episode of "Columbo." He also occasionally posed as Hammer on the covers of paperback editions of his mystery novels.

But Mr. Spillane achieved his greatest fame as a pop-culture icon when he spoofed himself, again outfitted in the traditional private-eye garb, in more than 110 commercials for Miller Lite beer from 1973 to 1989.

- - -

All things Spillane

- Big numbers: Wrote 53 books, which reportedly have sold more than 200 million copies worldwide.

- More than books: His success spawned a Mike Hammer radio show, a cartoon strip (written by Mr. Spillane) and three TV series, one starring Darren McGavin in the late 1950s and two starring Stacy Keach in the 1980s and `90s.

- Kid stuff: Author of several children's books. "The Day the Sea Rolled Back" won a Junior Literary Guild Award.

Not so tough: Contrary to his hard-boiled image, Mr. Spillane has been described as soft-spoken and articulate. "I'm actually a softie," he said in 2004. "Tough guys get killed too early."

Source: Los Angeles Times
Source
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 05:36 am
From the printed version of today's Chicago Tribune, Tempo page 9

http://i2.tinypic.com/20a9p41.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/20a9n9i.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 05:51 am
All I can say is that he died of a heart attack, the kind of heart attack that can result from a small piece of molded lead intruding into his chest cavity at,say, 1200 feet per second. It was massive and an abrupt cardiac event, it also involved a lot of blood.So when the coroner entered "Sudden Crdiac Death" on the little line that asked for some kind of explanation of the cause of death, everybody knew that something was up. It was a somethig that only could involve Velda.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 02:25 pm
She would be at home fm waxing her white thighs.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 04:26 pm
That Velda is one hot tomata...
0 Replies