Maine Lobsterman Pulls Up Rare Lobster

Reyn

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 05:05 pm
Maine Lobsterman Pulls Up Rare Lobster

BAR HARBOR, Maine (AP) -- An eastern Maine lobsterman caught a lobster this week that looks like it's half-cooked.

The lobster caught by Alan Robinson in Dyer's Bay that is a typical mottled green on one side; the other side is a shade of orange that looks cooked.

Robinson, of Steuben, donated the lobster to the Mount Desert Oceanarium. Staff members say the odds or finding a half-and-half lobster are 1 in 50 million to 100 million. By comparison, the odds of finding a blue lobster are about 1 in a million.

Robinson, who has been fishing for more than 20 years, said he didn't know what to think when he spotted the odd creature in his trap.

"I thought somebody was playing a joke on me," Robinson said. "Once I saw what it was ... it was worth seeing."

Bette Spurling, who works at the oceanarium, said lobster shells are usually a blend of the three primary colors: red, yellow and blue. Those colors mix to form the greenish-brown color of most lobsters. This lobster, though, has no blue in half of its shell, she said.

Bernard Arseneau, a former manager at the oceanarium's lobster hatchery, said lobsters also have a growth pattern in which the two sides develop independently of each other.

The oceanarium has received only three two-toned lobsters in its 35 years of existence, staff members said.

http://hosted.ap.org/photos/1/10a73ade-30f7-4752-a8f7-a21b7f74cccf-big.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 805 • Replies: 11
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 05:32 pm
Looks like it came from Toys-R-Us.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 05:36 pm
It's a bizarre one, for sure. I would have liked to put it in H.I., but I guess it is to do with animals. Laughing
0 Replies

Istahir

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 11:25 am
Hehe...

This forum is very interesting..always something new and bizarre.... Razz
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 11:40 am
Very cool! I bet it's french!

Montana - where are you???
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 02:15 pm
Lokks to me like that lobster is half cooked and I wouldn't put it past any lobster fisherman to pull a joke like that Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 06:58 pm
If it was half cooked, what color would the cooked eye be?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 09:45 pm
Good question. I was just a simple claw cracker and don't know who was in charge of the eyes Confused
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 06:03 am
Montana wrote:
I was just a simple claw cracker and don't know who was in charge of the eyes Confused

Laughing THAT is worthy of a signature line!
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 06:36 am
cjhsa wrote:
If it was half cooked, what color would the cooked eye be?

If you take a picture of a set of negatives, will the negatives of the picture come out in color?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 06:39 am
Does that mean that its mother was really hot! :wink:
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 10:24 am
Chai Tea wrote:
Montana wrote:
I was just a simple claw cracker and don't know who was in charge of the eyes Confused

Laughing THAT is worthy of a signature line!

Laughing
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Maine Lobsterman Pulls Up Rare Lobster
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 06:23:38