Man wins clucking title for 8th time

Reyn

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 10:09 am
Man wins clucking title for 8th time

WAYNE, Neb. - Del Hampton has no reason to be fowl. He was named champion Saturday of the National Cluck-Off competition - an event the Fort Smith, Ark., native has won for the past eight years.

"My dream when I was a kid was to do cartoon voices. It all kind of goes back to that," Hampton said.

The 26th annual event featured all things related to chickens, including a barbecue chicken dinner, contests, vendors and the world's largest chicken dance. The highlight was the cluck-off.

During his winning cluck, Hampton scratched, pecked and clucked before perching on what appeared to be a large wooden roost and laying a spring-loaded fake egg the size of a small watermelon.

Hampton said watching "Looney Toons" when he was young and later entertaining his daughter with animal sounds helped him develop the award-winning schtick.

"I always jokingly say that 'I make my momma proud,' " Hampton said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 155 • Replies: 2
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 07:44 pm
Actually, Del was not going to enter the competition. The one day he was challenged by a fellow competitor. "What are ya, CHICKEN??!!" the competitor asked him. The rest is history.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 10:59 pm
You know, I actually believe that. I think that's how it went down.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Man wins clucking title for 8th time
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 04:31:22