Any takers to Indian Music?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 742 • Replies: 8
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 05:55 am
Ive always like the mix o Western and Indian music that was done by VJ Bhatt and Ry Cooder.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 06:08 am
But that is how many, just 1-2 albums done by the 2 together right?

They are good, no doubt...

Esp. I only remember A Meeting by River or something.

Any other form of Indian music, u may want to share?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 06:21 am
One of my partners , who is a Siddarjhi, plays these CDs and tapes in his car when he drives to project meetings. Ive tried to get into it but , my ear isnt as well tuned to all the stuff going on. Im not a big fan of much of the popular music, but I do love the point /counterpoint and slight atonal;ity of instrumentals.

VJ Bhatt has produced a few instrumental pieces that were "friendly to my ear"

I also like the song renditions of ravi Shankars Daughter, I dont know if thats Indian music though.

My exposure has been limited by listening to CDs and tapes that my Indian colleagues and friends have from their own regions. India being such a large diverse place, I can never explain the difference between some of the music that Ive heard that originates in the Kerala vs Mumbai, but thgere is a marked difference, lots more "falsetto" in Mumbai .

What do you consider as more classical Indian music?
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 06:54 am
We have Folk Classical, which has typical regional musical notes played in the Indian states with mostly local instruments to an undiversified classical music with rules that not even the regional classical music can deny and is NOT supposed to fall out off.

The basic difference between Indian (pure Classical) and Western Music is that Indian classical has RULES called ragas. No music arranged in Indian classical domain falls beyond these ragas. So Indian classical musicians, unlike western, DO NOT need pre-composed notes papers in front of them as they know the next note to follow once the current is played as per the RULES.

I like pure classical music. I am more into the VOCALS than the INSTRUMENTALS. So I admire some native Indian classical singer gurus like Kishori Amonkar, Pundit Bhimsen Joshi and Pundit Jasraj etc.

But instrumentals by Pundit Ravi Shankar, Pundit Shivkumar Sharma, Tabla maestro Ustad Zakir Hussain or even V Bhatt are always a NO MISS.

But Indian popular like the pop or Bollywood film music sometimes does generate sensible tunes to hum. Popular Indian music is mix-mis-match of the Indian and the western.

But is so much variations we do have an all category, maestros of Indian Music like one is AR Rehman. He is currently composing music for the theatrical presentation of The Lord Of The Rings in London under Andrew Webb Lloyd's guidance

Ever heard of him?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 12:13 pm
vinsan wrote:

Any takers to Indian Music?

Why, sure?

I love, appreciate, sing and play Hindustani Classical Music. My personal favourites are Raag Khamaj and Raga Baageshwari. Hopefully, I will be back with a song for both the ragas. Would that be fine?
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 03:13 am
Lovely to see some takers for Indian classical music Smile. Love it too, of course. I enjoy both Carnatic (south indian) and Hindustani (north indian) music.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 03:35 am
farmerman wrote:

I also like the song renditions of ravi Shankars Daughter, I dont know if thats Indian music though.

Do you mean Norah Jones? No, that's not Indian music. He has another daughter called anoushka, who plays the sitar, an Indian instrument.

farmerman wrote:

My exposure has been limited by listening to CDs and tapes that my Indian colleagues and friends have from their own regions. India being such a large diverse place, I can never explain the difference between some of the music that Ive heard that originates in the Kerala vs Mumbai, but there is a marked difference, lots more "falsetto" in Mumbai .

When you mean Keral vs Mumbai,.,,,do you mean carnatic and hindustani? I'm not sure.
In India, you have popular music (music from our movies, which are all musicals) and classical music. Indian classical music is either south indian (aka carnatic) or hindustani (north indian). The basis for these two types of music is the same - the styles are quite markedly different.

Then there's folk music. The ever popular bhangda is folk music from punjab....

Indian music has special notes or microtones. An octave is not just twleve keys. We can start our octave at a convenient pitch. I read somewhere that the western octave begins at 240 Hz, right? Indian classical music is hardly ever orchestrated. It's melody-based and not harmony-based.

Ooof. I hope someone else, who can explain Indian music better, comes along
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 04:12 am
sakhi wrote:
Ooof. I hope someone else, who can explain Indian music better, comes along

Seriously, even I would like to meet someone like that. You seem to have known Indian music sakhi, have you learnt it?

BTW Karnatic Music means SubbaLaxmi to me. Her Vyankatesh Stotram is something that I hade been grown up with. My babysitter (who baby sat me Mom couldnt do it single handedly ... Embarrassed) was Kannada. She was originally from Belgaum.

She spoke good Marathi also. She used to call me "Phantinga", when I used to misbehave. It means you know Rascal or something like that.

Ok lets keep my history apart, Anyone else in Indian music?
0 Replies