whee-ohn whee-ohn

JPB

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:36 pm
I have no idea what these creatures are, cidacas? tree frogs? dunno. But at some point during the summer they come out in force and sing their whee-ohn, whee-ohn song in unison and then stop.... then start up again, then stop. Whatever they are, they've just started their ritual. Ah, it's finally summer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,518 • Replies: 18
No top replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:58 pm
Are you hearing crickets? I just noticed their chirping the other day. A sign of summer for sure.

Field Crickets
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:59 pm
Locust
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 08:01 pm
Probably toads.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 08:23 pm
Quote:
whee-ohn whee-ohn

J's been tibbling at the sauce again.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 10:07 pm
Are you sure it's not "ohn-whee ohn-whee"?

Because if it is, it's that French woman next door, you know, the one who can't pronounce her r's......she's calling Henry in for his dinner.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 05:38 am
I don't think it was crickets. Could be locusts (aren't they the same as cicadas) or toads.

Quote:
About Cicadas:

Cicadas are insects belonging to the family Cicadidae in the order Homoptera. Cicadas are recognizable by their large size (>1 inch) and clear wings held rooflike over the abdomen. Most cicadas are strong fliers that spend their time high in the trees, so they are rarely seen or captured. Their life cycles are long, usually involving multiple years spent underground as juveniles, followed by a brief (roughly 2-6 weeks) adult life above ground. As juveniles and adults, they feed on the xylem fluid of woody plants using piercing and sucking mouthparts. As adults, males produce a loud species-specific mate-attracting song using specialized sound-producing organs called tymbals. source

As I recall from previous summers, the singing goes on for more than 2-6 weeks but it does sound like it's coming from the tree tops. Maybe toads though.

Quote:
Are you sure it's not "ohn-whee ohn-whee"?

Because if it is, it's that French woman next door, you know, the one who can't pronounce her r's......she's calling Henry in for his dinner.
Laughing

Reyn, well, yeah actually I was, but I was on my first glass when the singing started. The other glass was to help block out the noise :wink: It worked, I slept like a baby.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 05:15 pm
Locusts = crickets
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 11:05 pm
Go to this link and scroll down a bit...you will find several sounds bites of Cicadas calls. If none match, then it must be something else..cricket, frog...etc

http://www.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/magicicada/Michigan/Index.html

The one that I know very well is the "Genus Tibicen"...even the soundbite made my ears rattle. They look a lot like a locust, but they aren't...when asked by the kids...what is that sound, I usually reply "Locust"...but after thinking about it I will say...no it's a catydid {katydid}...which is wrong as well, but it's close..in name anyway.

Edit. Just saw that you already found the same site.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:15 am
jespah wrote:
Locusts = crickets

I'm always learning on a2k... never knew this.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:25 am
We called them catydids in New England too, 2packs. Here they're called cicadas but I think they're the same thing.

I didn't notice the sound bites on that link. I'll check it out. Thanks.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:33 am
ossobuco wrote:
jespah wrote:
Locusts = crickets

It seems they're all related.

Quote:
Grasshoppers, Crickets, Katydids and Locusts

Order Orthoptera
Suborders Ensifera and Caelifera
Most people have encountered grasshoppers at some time and seen them hop away or leap into a short low flight. Similarly, most of us have heard the sound of crickets at night as the males call out for mates. Grasshoppers and crickets are related and together with the katydids and locusts, make up the Order Orthoptera.

Identification
Members of the Orthoptera are usually large bodied insects with the enlarged rear legs adapted for jumping. The rear legs often face backward alongside the body in preparation for a leaping escape from a predator, though some groups have lost the capacity for jumping. Many Orthoptera produce sounds, usually made by males to attract females, by rubbing their forewings together. These sounds can also be made by rubbing their legs against the body or the wings, or by grinding their mandibles (jaws).

The suborder Ensifera, which contains the true crickets, mole crickets, king crickets and katydids, can usually be recognised by the long antennae that may be several times the length of the body. Locusts and short-horned grasshoppers belong in the other suborder, Caelifera, and have shorter and more robust antennae.
source
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 09:12 am
Aha, thanks.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 09:27 am
But they are not the same as cicadas.

From the first link:

Quote:
Cicadas are insects belonging to the family Cicadidae in the order Homoptera.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 10:07 am
ossobuco wrote:
jespah wrote:
Locusts = crickets

locusts are grasshoppers, crickets are ........well......crickets.

black cricket
http://www.infobreaks.com/insects/Image014.jpg

locust
http://www.fjexpeditions.com/expeditions/past/oct03/locust.jpg
cicada
http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/NurseryInspection/photos/cicada.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 10:10 am
Thanks for the photos, dadpad..
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 10:14 am
I stepped out the other night and heard a ringing chorus of tree frogs that blasted me back inside. They were really goin' at their "love call" for over an hour. Hope a few of them got lucky, at least. Very Happy

Locust / cricket sounds are scratchier. Tree frogs are fairly high pitched compared to toads or frogs, and do not have the sound of wings scratching together like a bad fiddler.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 11:16 am
I finally finished listening to the audio downloads from the UMich links. It's the very last one (of course), Tibisen pruinosa. The link is the song of a single bug, I'm hearing it in full symphony. check out the last one
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 11:44 am
The last one sounds familiar to me as well.

A few years ago on the 4th of July, while we were in the back yard shooting off fireworks, a wounded cicada landed right where the kids were sitting. The boy, of course, got a stick and proceeded to poke at it...until it let out a full volume screech. He...eh probably 5 at the time, ran off screaming like a little girl, as did both his sisters and my wife.

That was the best part of the night.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » whee-ohn whee-ohn
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 10:23:11