Why do they still do this at the Library?

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 11:27 am
I noticed when my daughter takes out books from the library that they insert a card in the back. You know the little card that has a 1, 2, 3, 4 on it and sits in a little pocket on the inside of the back cover. And it says something along the lines - book due on last day stamped. I don't know about your library, but all the libraries I've been around my parts do not stamp this card any longer. This is now computerized and they insert a little piece of paper with the books you borrowed and the due date.

So why do they bother putting that little card in the back of each book? It serves no purposes. The library must pay for the little cards and then spend time putting them in books and taking them out. Can anyone enlighten me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,439 • Replies: 29
No top replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 11:29 am
To use as a bookmark? I have no clue, but that's as good an answer as I can come up with.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 11:38 am
That is what I use it for. But it used to have a purpose way back when. They used to put it in some machine to stamp the due date on - now you go check out a book - they scan the book with a bar code in the front cover and then flip the book over, get a card from a pile and put it in the little pocket. After they scan all your books they print out a little receipt with the list of books and due dates and insert into one of the books.

Why the h*ll waste time and paper on those silly little cards. It bothers me.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 11:43 am
Yeah, I've noticed this too. I am old enought to remember the good old days of library book borrowing. Signing your name on that card and having them stamp it with the due date.
Why do they still put that card there? Nostalgia? Something to do? Maybe they have a huge surplus of those cards and they're trying to use them up? Darned if I know.
Do we have any librarians here that can answer this?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 12:05 pm
Linkat wrote:

Tough morning, huh? :wink:
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 12:20 pm
Reyn wrote:
Linkat wrote:

Tough morning, huh? :wink:

Actually yeah. Read the item on Boston's big dig and you will understand by h*llish commutes over the last couple of days with no end in sight. Figured it was good to focus on something that really didn't matter.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 12:24 pm
My old town of Brooline, MA still did the old card thing. I notice there were many books that hadn't been checked out since the late 20's or early 30's! One book on bridge I recall was last checked out in 1921! Surely the last guy who checked it out was long dead!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 12:24 pm
The big dig is still going on? Yikes, you poor thing.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 12:25 pm
Quote:
Why do they still do this at the Library?

tradition?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 12:47 pm
Diane wrote:
The big dig is still going on? Yikes, you poor thing.

Yes and the problems keep mounting - poor woman was killed just the other day as a result and commuters are stuck without a tunnel to go through and even if they could, don't want to.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 01:58 pm
To destroy any value to a dishonest collector?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 02:44 pm
I have no answer to the problems of the Big Dig--but as for the subject of this thread, I'd ask a librarian.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 02:59 pm
yeah noddy, I was going to suggest that, but it sounded nicer from you...

You know what Nick, I miss having those cards in there for the reason you said...you could see when the book was last taken out...sometimes there'd be 4 dates in a row, then a lapse of a few years...then more checkouts...another lapse.

It was like following a story in itself. I miss that.

I always loose the little piece of paper, even when I use it as a bookmark.

I wonder if there's a way to see the history of check outs nowadays.

hmmmmm.....

BTW, my library doesn't put the card in there, but I think the little holder thingie is is there.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 03:16 pm
Actually I was planning on asking next time I go - but in the mean time - I thought the great minds we have here would know. Guess I gave you guys too much credit.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 04:20 pm
Linkat--

You are a woman capable of Primary Research--as well as a woman of great optimism and faith in her fellow posters.

May your quest be rewarded with more than double talk.

Could the cards be part of the Date Due system--left old-fashioned because children aren't detail-oriented?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 04:53 pm
Actually Inkat, the Big Dig is FINISHED! And it's already gotten old and aflling apart! A lady was killed in the tunnel the other day when part of it collapsed!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 05:04 pm
My mother is a retired librarian. I'll ask her, but I suspect it's a way to keep track of what's in and out for if/when the computer goes down. The library has to know its inventory all the time, even if the computer system crashes.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 06:14 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
I always loose the little piece of paper, even when I use it as a bookmark.

Hey, isn't there a fine for that? :wink:

I bet Chai is one of those who take out every book on one subject.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 06:19 pm
Oh, were you trying to take out any books on welding?

I'll be done with them by the weekend.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 06:20 pm
I was a library aide for six or seven years, but at a little library where we still used the date due cards-- we were automated, but the computer didn't print out a receipt, so the date due cards were still needed for the patron to see when each book was due.

Plus, even if you get a reciept, isn't it kind of useful to be able to look at the card in each book in case you lost the reciept? It seems harder to keep track of a reciept than the cards to me...but maybe I'm not quite getting what you're saying....
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Why do they still do this at the Library?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 03:18:00