Study: Religion helps smokers kick the habit

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:05 pm
So, I wonder if they picked up any new bad habits?

Study: Religion helps smokers kick the habit

BALTIMORE, Maryland (CNN) -- A new study of African-Americans, released Wednesday by Johns Hopkins University, shows that smokers who want to quit make more progress against the "evil weed" with prayer as a weapon.

Joyce Tucker can attest to the power of prayer. Today she is a reformed smoker. But she had to look for divine help to conquer a habit she picked up when she was a teen-ager.

"The first time I tried to quit, I tried on my own, but the second time, I used prayer as my source first, and He answered it," she said.

Although new information on the dangers of smoking is released on an almost weekly basis, African-Americans are not abandoning cigarettes as quickly as their white counterparts. Doctors want to know how to change the trend.

Researchers found that in the African-American community, the church has a special power. In the Johns Hopkins experiment, scientists recruited 10 Baltimore churches to offer an intensive quit-smoking program featuring a message from the pulpit.

"We see this as a spiritual issue. Satan desires us to do that which would destroy a body, and so God gives us the will," said Baptist pastor H. Walden Wilson.

At another 10 Baltimore-area churches, only self-help literature was distributed.

After a year, there was a big difference in the quitting smokers' success rates.

"Spiritually based intervention was more effective in helping people quit. In addition, smokers in the intensive spiritually based intervention were three times more likely to make positive progress," said Carolyn Voorhees of Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions.

Joyce Tucker says God helped her when she could not help herself. She has been off cigarettes for five years. "I'm a firm believer that you need Christ in your life. It's just something you feel inside, you know that He's working and He's helping you with this," she said.

The study says the program's success flows from a total spiritual experience, including the Bible and music of faith. The Baptist Church was the most effective in delivering the anti-tobacco liturgy among the African-American community, the study found.

Could prayer turn others away from tobacco? More studies could show how well faith in the Lord can help smokers withstand one of this world's strongest temptations.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 350 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:10 pm
This is exactly how I quit cold turkey after 35 years of smoking. That was 9 years ago.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:15 pm
Religion or otherwise, fine with me, says a person who once smoked at lot.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:22 pm
My last supervisor was a church goer and he loved to preach at me. He said once that God helped him to quit drinking. During his last year with us he decided to quit smoking. He made about a day and gave it up. I was tempted to ask why he didn't get any help with the tobacco, but decided not to.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:28 pm
I've never understood the focus on Fred's smoking or Ethel's bursitis, while people are dying and drowning and starving, but whatever works, I suppose.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:44 pm
Hey, guys, whazz-up? I'm Kim, and I don't allow religion, so I guess there's a lot of smokers in my country that won't be able to quit.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:58 am
Reyn, have you seen your doctor lately? Laughing

My point on topic: A crutch is a crutch is a crutch. People who need something to get through the day oftentimes switch from one crutch to another.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 08:05 am
I have a better way. (This is a blatant commercial). Yesterday, I saw a museum exhibit, "Bodies, the Exhibition". There were two (real) lungs, sitting side by side. The difference between the non-smokers and smoker's lungs was startling. One look at the blackened mass of a smoker's lung, IMO, would be enough to scare anyone away from smoking!

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2139837
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 09:05 am
J_B wrote:
Reyn, have you seen your doctor lately? Laughing

Yeah, and I got a clean bill of health, too, so nyah!

[sticks out tongue]
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 09:07 am
edgarblythe wrote:
My last supervisor was a church goer and he loved to preach at me. He said once that God helped him to quit drinking. During his last year with us he decided to quit smoking. He made about a day and gave it up. I was tempted to ask why he didn't get any help with the tobacco, but decided not to.

He used his free will Smile
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Study: Religion helps smokers kick the habit
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 11:40:46