Can someone recommend similar books?

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 11:58 am
I have been reading books like "Alas, Babylon" (Frank), "Into the Forest" (Hegland) and "Ecotopia" (Callenbach). Can anyone recommend similar books to read? Thanks in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,218 • Replies: 10
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 05:48 pm
HArmony - can you tell us about the storylines?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 05:54 pm
I looked up Alas, Babylon on A2k's Amazon link (click on the HOME page link at the top of this page and look to the left side of the page) and found this, which lists what other people who ordered that book liked..
I didn't check the other titles.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060931396/qid=1152661899/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-3109581-1951955?s=books&v=glance&n=283155
0 Replies

harmonyfarm

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 09:03 am
Storylines of the books I'm reading
Alas, Babylon is a story about a group of people surviving after a nuclear attack. Into the Forest is about two young girls surviving in the woods after society collapse and Ecotopia is the story about how people survived after Washington, Oregon and Northern California seceded from the union to form their own country...are ya smelling a theme here?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 08:06 pm
The Place Called Attar by JD Belanger
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 08:24 pm
Footfall - a 1985 science fiction novel written by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle about aliens landing on earth (US).

Lucifer's Hammer - also by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle (see a trend?) is about a comet hitting earth (US).

The Postman - by David Brin is a post-apocalyptic US where one guy decides safe-passage lies in becoming the new era's first post-man (for real or not).

Darwin's Radio and Darwin's Children (not sure which is 1st) - by greg bear. The books could be shorter, but the story is great - children born to normal parents who have a genetic mutation which makes them more genetically successful. Turns out that junk DNA was such junk.......
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 09:18 am
littlek wrote:
The Postman - by David Brin is a post-apocalyptic US where one guy decides safe-passage lies in becoming the new era's first post-man (for real or not).

i have watched the movie and its really good
0 Replies

harmonyfarm

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 11:10 am
Thank you all soooooo much. I'm on my way to the library to get Lucifer's Hammer now. I knew I could count on you good folks to lead me in the right direction..... :-)
0 Replies

smog

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 11:19 am
After the Plague (and other stories) by T.C. Boyle

I suspect you'll be most interested in the the titular (and final) story of the collection, but the whole book is worth reading.
0 Replies

Tailbone

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 09:36 am
These books belong to a SciFi subgenre known as "apocalyptic" and "post apocalyptic fiction"

The following links should provide a good starting point for similar books.

Amazon List 1

Amazon List 2

Wikipedia List

Answers.com List

Googling "apocalyptic" and "post apocalyptic fiction"
should provide more - however, this particular theme seems to suffer from a shortage of works.
0 Replies

harmonyfarm

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 11:46 am
woo hoo! Ask and ye shall receive! I have a list a mile long of books that I can read now!
THANK YOU ALL!
0 Replies