Music festival pulls clown theme over phobia fears

Reyn

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 12:17 am
Oh brother! What's next? No Santa Claus, because he's scary looking to some? Mad

No laughing matter: music festival pulls clown theme over phobia fears

LONDON (AFP) - Organisers of a rock festival have been forced to change its circus theme after a number of ticketholders told them they had a phobia of clowns.

The "Bestival" event on the Isle of Wight, off England's south coast, in early September was to have encouraged festival-goers to dress up in curly red wigs and oversized shoes.

Last year's "Cowboys or Indians" theme broke a world record for the biggest fancy dress party when 10,000 people turned up in disguise.

But organisers feared thousands of clowns in one place could spark mass panic in the psychedelic atmosphere of the festival, which is popular with so-called "nouveaux hippies", the Times newspaper said Saturday.

"We have had so many people with clown phobias contact us I am worried everyone might end up hiding in the woods," Rob da Bank, a BBC Radio One disc jockey who will "curate" the show, was quoted as saying.

Fear of clowns -- or coulrophobia -- has symptoms including shortness of breath, rapid breathing, irregular heartbeat, nausea, sweating and a sense of foreboding, The Times pointed out.

Heavy make-up and bulbous noses, plus negative childhood memories of the supposed funnymen and women, are thought to be the root cause.

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/afp/20060708/capt.sge.oqi87.080706161606.photo00.photo.default-512x343.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 520 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 01:41 pm
I'm guessing that part of the problem is spelled out: B-o-t-t-o-m-l-i-n-e.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 01:43 pm
I guess I wouldn't attend, since I tend to wear a red nose and yellow shoes to these events.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 02:49 pm
You re-living your hippy days again, Edgar? Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 03:16 pm
Ah, youse should have seen me in the 60s, reyn. A head of hair like a wildly ruffled black steel wool ball. My possum eyes gleamed forth from a little break in there.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 05:07 pm
Ah, those were the days, eh?

I can't ever claim to have been a hippy myself. I do remember my hair being well over the ears and past the collar a bit though. Shocked
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 05:10 pm
Only one eye stares out of my steel wool ball.

You really shouldn't run with scissors.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 05:23 pm
patiodog wrote:
Only one eye stares out of my steel wool ball.

You really shouldn't run with scissors.

Dances With Shears.

Clowns are ok...it's festivals that scare me.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 05:34 pm
True. There's something wrong about balls being festive. We should attend sombervals.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 05:38 pm
patiodog wrote:
True. There's something wrong about balls being festive. We should attend sombervals.

Yeah....and go to genitail parties.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 05:43 pm
Miss Congenitality with a ribbon 'twixt her ears...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 05:52 pm
Coulrophobia, huh.

Learned a new word today..
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Music festival pulls clown theme over phobia fears
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 01:27:29