A Liberal community celebrates the 4th of July

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 06:27 am
In spite of the image that many conservatives/republicans, especially on A2K like to paint of liberals having no values and hate america, the most liberal community in New Mexico celebrated the 4th in this manner.

By ANA MARIA TRUJILLO | The New Mexican
July 5, 2006

Good food, great music and nice cars. What more could anyone ask for on Independence Day?

The United Way of Santa Fe County's 31st Annual Pancakes on the Plaza was jam-packed with people who had donned American flag shirts, hats and even red, white and blue hair. Free flags were passed out as the crowd sang, ``America the Beautiful'' and ate pancakes and vegetarian sausage.

Various local artists sold their jewelry and art, and food vendors sold everything from fajitas to roasted corn in addition to the traditional pancakes.

The festivities kicked off at 7 a.m. with a welcome and a thanks to all sponsors from United Way of Santa Fe County chief executive officer Katherine Freeman and a flag presentation by Brownie Troop No. 621.

``This year, I am especially, especially proud of the number of businesses who have sponsored the event in support of the Agua Fria Children's Zone, `` said Freeman. ``It's just remarkable. It's our best outpouring of support ever.''

The Agua Fria Children's Zone is an initiative that seeks to strengthen the Agua Fria community through family education and economic-and-community-development initiatives such as the Baby University, which provides an opportunity for new parents to learn effective parenting practices. The Children's Zone is run out of Agua Fria Elementary School.

Among those involved with the project was Dr. Laurence Shandler, a pediatrician. ``I'm there to support the families,`` said Shandler, ``and to meet with them and answer questions about children's growth and development.''

United Way sold sponsorships to corporations that came on board because of the Children's Zone, said Karen Sanchez, vice president of community relations for United Way.

``We've done a lot more advertising, and we've been a lot more visible prior to the event,'' she said, ``so if ticket sales go the way we hope they go, a very conservative estimate (of what was raised) would be $85,000.''

The Plaza was buzzing with over 400 volunteers -- in two shifts -- who cooked pancakes and cleaned up as people enjoyed the music of Mariachi Juvennil, the Irish dancing of Celtic de Santa Fe and the musical styling of the Latin band Manzanares. Another performance at this year's event was a poetry reading by Arthur Sze, the city's poet laureate.

The car show was another big attraction at the festivities. Judging went on in 12 categories from classic muscle cars to classic motorcycles. Voted the People's Choice was Ben Cordova's 1954 Rolls Royce Silver Dawn. Bob Pearson's 1940 Lincoln Zephyr took the Best in Show award in addition to first place for the Touring Cars 1931-1940 category.

Contact Ana Maria Trujillo at [email protected].

Quote:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 238 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 06:31 am
it figures those liberal pricks would raise money for somrthing stupid like helping children get a good head start on life instead of sending body armour or Toby Keith cd's to our boys in Iraq.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 06:51 am
I'm guessing it was the flag presentation by Brownie Troop No. 621 that will really set off the wingnuts from the right. Some of those "brownies" are actually brown skinned (probably most of them) and perhaps a few are illegal.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 06:54 am
Here in downtown Tomball, it rained all evening, just enough to saturate everything, but not enough to stop the fireworks. We didn't do anything special all day [I replaced some window glass after my grandson hit a foul ball through it] but everybody showed up for the works. My daughter's radio boomed the Stars and Stripes Forever and some more modern stuff as the rockets exploded. We were closer than ever, because they moved the launching zone over by the fire station. We parked in the Post Office lot and had an excellent view. A good time had by all. I quaffed a Big Red Vanilla Float drink as the finally approached. The smoke hung heavy on the area, being held in place by the weather, and the last big bursts were absolutely wonderful. Belated happy 4th, y'all.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 08:39 am
Re: A Liberal community celebrates the 4th of July
dyslexia wrote:
In spite of the image that many conservatives/republicans, especially on A2K like to paint of liberals having no values and hate america, the most liberal community in New Mexico celebrated the 4th in this manner.

Must be this asymmetric warfare thing. And just notice how cunning their display of happiness and celebration is. Only a meticulous masterplan, carefully executed, can produce such a convincing ploy. They almost fooled me!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » A Liberal community celebrates the 4th of July
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/12/2024 at 02:22:38