Vacation paperbacks

dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 03:52 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
This is what I missed as I stared through the cell bars every night at the cold wafer-thin moon which taunted me and seemed to assure me that my imprisonment was real and my deep conversations with sozobe were a mere thing of the past.

Gone were the days of the "Were too!" and "Was not!"

But, I beat those bastard demons and I am back on the hallowed pages of A2K. Back to the cerebral conversations with sozobe.

And I have never felt so alive.

Were not.

No goddamm moon stays wafer thin, even through bars, for ninety days.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 04:21 pm
Maybe he was shipped to his home planet for a while?

I finally figured out an at-the-pool trick for reading -- I'd check on kid between each page. (Bottom of page, kid, top of page, bottom of page, kid, top of page, etc.) Seemed to work pretty well, especially for "The Penelopiad," which had smallish pages. Read the whole thing (178 smallish pages) in a couple of hours.

It was a trifle, though -- felt like a smart graduate student was showing that she could write a Margaret Atwood novel. Too pat, too done, too "Margaret Atwood." I haven't re-read any of my Margaret Atwood books since the first time(s) around, have just read her new ones approximately as they come out, so don't know if I've grown out of liking her or if she's not doing as well. "Oryx and Crake," mentioned here, is supposed to be one of her better later ones, so I may give that a try. I suspect she may be the XX chromosome version of Kerouac or Hemingway, though -- beloved of college students, and then ardor cools.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 08:33 am
"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" seems to be another "obvious" -- has anyone read it?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 08:41 am
I listened to it on the CBC about two weeks ago.

I'd recommend it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 08:51 am
sozobe wrote:
"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" seems to be another "obvious" -- has anyone read it?

Yes.

Loved it...there's a thread on it somewhere.

Seems like (or is, who knows?) a real being there in the mind of a kid with autism spectrum.

fascinating.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 08:55 am
Great, thanks for the quick responses.

My final list is:

The Corrections
Brick Lane
Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
Reading Lolita in Tehran

(Then getting a B.B. King CD for E.G. to round out the $50 gift certificate.)

Looking forward to reading this group! Thanks, all.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 08:49 pm
My list is turning out SO WELL, thanks so much everyone! Great fun to immerse myself in reading again these last few weeks, and to get such rewards for it. With what limited time I have for reading, few things make me grumpier than reading a book that proves to be a waste of time.

As it happened I only had time for 1/2 of one book while I was ON vacation -- I'd forgotten how much WORK we do at the cabin -- but read one before and one after, have only "Reading Lolita in Tehran" left.

I'd love to discuss both "The Corrections" and "Brick Lane" -- McKenzie, have you read the latter yet?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 08:59 pm
Speaking of the cabin, soz, was that photo you submitted somewhere an actual shot of your cabin area? Stunning scenery. What state was that?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 09:00 pm
Yep, that was an actual photo.

Colorado, in the Rockies. Gorgeous.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 09:05 pm
I guess I should have known that, but I was thinking that you hung around the in the east and was trying to place what state would have such scenery.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 09:08 pm
Reading Lolita is not exactly a movealong book. The Moghul Buffet was more a vacation book. Still, I was glad I read Reading Lolita.

Am reading a damn peculiar/interesting book right now, will report on it when done, if I can claw my way through the last pages.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 11:12 am
Gus, posted more pics here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2197137#2197137

I wish I could make them post bigger, but that's how Photobucket resized them and I can't make Imageshack work.

Osso, "The Curious Incident..." was a typical vacation book I think -- light, quick, fun -- but the rest of 'em were heavier. I like a certain weight, the better to lose myself in the book for a while...
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 12:48 pm
Quote:
I'd love to discuss both "The Corrections" and "Brick Lane" -- McKenzie, have you read the latter yet?

No, I haven't read it yet, sozobe. Did you enjoy it? I just picked up "The Time Travelers Wife" on the weekend, and I think I'll keep them both to read on vacation. I'll need to find a few more, but it's a good start.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 12:49 pm
I really liked it!

Would love to talk to you about it once you've read it.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 12:52 pm
See you in March? Very Happy

(Unless I run out of good reading material before then.)
0 Replies