How BIG is yours?

Chai

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 02:43 pm
Your house or apartment that is?

Shewolf moving to new digs this Sunday (YAY) and it's all very exciting and positive....

She did mention it was 800sq ft. smaller than what she expected/was used to....I'm sure she'll adapt.

Walter mentioned his place was 400sq ft, and that was the norm.

I think all Americans gasped over that....But what would we do with ALL MY STUFF?

How big is your place? Doesn't have a thing to do with your economic status...It'd be interesting to learn what the norms are around the world.

Me? I'm sure not rich, but I lucked out...in 1991 I bought a run down bank repo for less than 50K...it was a real piece of crap, and was, I think 1,200 sq feet of squeaky floors, outdated kitchen and bath and grubby everything. Some guy had expanded the original cottage of the house (800 sq ft) to 1200 with the most unprofessional remodel I'd ever seen.

Today? We just finished expanding it to 2000 sq feet for the two of us. It literally took 7 or 8 years of labor and paying for stuff as we had the money. It's basically totally rebuilt.

For the first time in my entire life, I feel like I'm not cramped. If the TV's too loud, I have other rooms to go to...If he's snoring, there's another big bedroom (both 500 sq ft) If I'm tossing and turning, he can do the same.

I LIKE BIG!!!!

I'll readly admit I'm lucky and blessed. I could never have afforded such a big place if a million things hadn't happened in a particular order.

ANYWAY....tell your story of how you came to be where you are. Is it big enough? What are your plans?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,626 • Replies: 58
No top replies

Ellinas

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 02:53 pm
85 square meters.

According to google: 85 (square meters) = 914.932385 square feet
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 02:53 pm
The apartment I am now in is costing me $700 a month, and they pay the water and heat (which is in-floor radiant, fantastic in the winter). I have about 950 squart feet, with a private balcony and private entryway. It was one about 10 places I looked at when I took my current job and needed to move nearby.
I don't know why it is so cheap, because it is beautiful. It even has cathedral ceilings, and a serving counter from the kitchen to the living room. In-unit washer & dryer and a walk in closet as big as my bathroom don't hurt either (the washer & dryer are in the walk-in; doing laundry has never been so easy). And you have to love the included garage.
I am saving up for my first home, but I don't plan to leave where I am until I get it. I just love where I am.

And congratulations are due, by the way, to both Shewolf and Chai Tea on their accomplishments. Good for both of you! Very Happy
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 03:00 pm
Our house is about 1,200 square feet. It felt really cramped right after Mo moved in but we've adjusted very well. Plus, we don't have a lot of stuff.

Our yard is gigantic and we just added a maybe 300+ square foot patio. The weather is so mild here that it will add to our living space year round.

Right now I feel like I'm rolling in space.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 03:10 pm
I haven't measured personally, but the ad for my place when I bought it said 1800sq feet, and the appraisal said 1600. Who knows. One floor in a multi-level house, 9 rooms, 4 bed/2 bath, plus a small rear deck overlooking my neighbor's crap house and yard full of junk, and a front enclosed deck overlooking a "beautiful" Main St.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 03:13 pm
I think our first apartment was much less than 800sq ft. Eat-in kitchen, living room, one bedroom, one bath in a four-apartment building.

My first home purchase was a 24X40 ft single-story house on a postage stamp sized corner lot. We paid $34K in 1977, added a two-car garage, a fence for the dog, and a bunch of landscaping. We sold it 7 years later for $68K. Our mortgage payment including insurance and taxes was $297. <jesus, those were the days!>

The next place was a 4-bedroom colonial in a new development. The first Mr B bought out my interests in that house when we divorced.

Next stop Chicago, I remarried after a couple years and purchased a 3-bedroom tri-level in the 'burbs on a decent lot with a large back yard.

We eventually moved to where we are now. Slightly over an acre of land with a modest 4-bedroom split foyer ~2500sq ft. We're surrounded by new McMansions and our house will probably be sold as a teardown. It's no longer in keeping with the 7 and 8 THOUSAND sq. ft monstrosities that are going up around us. The most recent 3000 sq ft teardown is being replaced by an 8000 sq ft house with a 7-car garage <ugh!>

Is it big enough? It's more than big enough for me, but I'll be looking for a larger piece of property somewhere in the mountains of Virginia when my kids leave for college. I'll build a small two-bedroom cottage and hope I outlast the urban/suburban sprawl.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 03:38 pm
Not counting Mr. Noddy's workshop (which is part of the detached garage) we have 1080 square feet.

The living room, kitchen and bedroom are all generously sized. There is a bathroom and a small utility room.

I regret not having a guest bedroom, but when we were building, Mr. Noddy was worried about his kids wanting to move back in.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 03:50 pm
I made a big mistake: our apartment has 1.300 square feet Embarrassed

(Actually, we pay for 1.300 - since there are three small rooms without window, the balcony etc isn't charged - the complete aprtment actually has about 1.600 square feet [now calculated correctly].)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 04:28 pm
Wow.
We're all more similar than I thought.

Ellinas - Is that a house or an apartment?

TSA - Oh yea! When I lived in Wisconsin the heat was included in the rent....a real bonus!

Boom - I'm not a "stuff" person, my husband is. He's got free reign over one of the bedrooms. It's very, shall we say "eclectic" He'll come in the house with some damn thing he got at a yard sale for a quarter, and I'll ask .. "WHERE is THAT going?"

"don't worry, I'm puttin' it in the gunslinger room"

Wow Slappy, 4 bedrooms, you must be planning a lot of kids :wink:

J_B - Oh I know, those new houses going up with thousands and thousands of square feet. They just passed an ordinace here to try to curb that. Can't be over x amount over the size of the original house, depends on lot size, etc. I mean, c'mon, there a limit. My neighborhood is an older established area. But a few blocks from me someone built this huge monstrosity...not only is it ridiculously large, it's in an entirely different style from the entire neighborhood. Every time I drive by it I think "God, that looks like a Columbian Drug Lords house."
Oh, and what you said about the $297 mortgage payment....yeah, I like the fact my mortgage is on the $50K and not what it would cost today.

Oh, Mr. Noddy....tsk tsk.

Wow Walter, when you originally said 400 I was thinking you slept in sleeping bags. Cool

One good thing about my house is that if you wanted, you could totally close off that part of the house and make it into a studio apartment. That might be a good idea for someday when I'm a little old lady when I might like a little rental income.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 04:40 pm
My house has 15 bedrooms......

.....unfortunately it is only 200 square feet.
(kidding of course)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 04:47 pm
My house is about 1850 sq. feet. We have three bedrooms, 2 full baths, living room, dining room, kitchen, dinette, den and laundry room. It is fine for the two of us. We use one bedroom as my husband's office, another is a guest room/computer room.

My husband is a "collector". We have a two car garage, but my car will never see the inside of the garage, because half of it is filled with his junk.

My old house in NY was smaller, (about 1350 sq feet, but it had a full basement, which was stuffed to brimming.)

It is a nice size for us, but I would have liked more closet space!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 04:51 pm
we're in 1800 square feet down from 3400. It was quite an adjustment.

When the cubs are on their own we'll probably go to 13 or 14 hundred and be happy.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 05:01 pm
Okay, my turn.

We live in a 3 bedroom townhouse located on a cul-de-sac.

They're attached row houses, the type with your own front door with outside access. Within the row that we're situated in, we are an end unit. So, only neighbors on one side.

Total square footage is 1620. There are three levels - full basement (which holds the laundry room, freezer, large storage room, and a couple of other walk-in size closets), main floor (livingroom, dining area, kitchen, 1/2 bathroom), and 2nd floor (3 bedrooms and main bathroom).

Now that our kids have moved out, both my wife and I have one of the bedrooms as a hobby type room.

We moved out to this city, which is one of Vancouver's distant suburbs (about an 1 1/2 hour drive), back in 1992. We paid off our mortgage last year, so we're pretty happy about that.

We ended up out here after a previous disasterous buy closer in. We had to sell lower than what we paid for and this area was all we could afford ($112 k). We needed extra room, and something in better condition.

Real estate is booming in the Lower Mainland of B.C., so we're glad as to where we're situated now. Although, apprasails have gone up, and thusly municipal property taxes, but that's life.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 05:11 pm
1650 sq ft, 3 bdrms, 2 full baths and a nice patio where we live 8 months of the year. The 2 car garage is not full of stuff other my the Porsche and Diane's P.T. Cruiser- My truck is parked in the driveway. We have all the room we need for us and Sally dog and Fred parrot.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 05:17 pm
I don't even want to talk about mine...I hate it with a venom!

Barely a 1000 square feet that we are cramped into. 2 bedrooms, 2 bath...eat in kitchen/dining are...living room, the hallway has a nook for the washer/dryer...1 walk in closet that you have to literally fight your way into..lol And the closet in the boys room, you can't not call a closet..its a nook w/ a door.

You sneeze, and I swear the walls expand! The kids enter the front door and the house is cluttered! LOL

The only good thing we have going in our favor is the fact that we have 7 1/2 acres that we can call ours.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 05:20 pm
2000 sq. feet, but I am not certain that includes the Florida room, Chai. Too much for me now.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 05:21 pm
Letty wrote:
2000 sq. feet, but I am not certain that includes the Florida room......

Huh? Please explain. Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 05:36 pm
Well, Reyn. My house is one story and it abuts a golf course. The Florida room is an annex, rather like an enclosed patio, if you will. I am just not certain if that Florida room is part of the 2000 sq. footage or not.

The house is rather strange in that the living room is huge and the den spacious. The back bedroom is rather like a suite with ample room for a sofa, huge book shelves; and a bath with enclosed shower.

The kitchen is perfect for me.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 05:51 pm
Our first house was 1,000 sq. ft...2 small bedrooms, 1 small bath, only 3 small closets. A stereotypical old ivy-covered Tudor brick cottage. Joe Nation will remember it. Hubby and I didn't think we would be able to have kids, so we spent 10 years painstakingly restoring it for the two of us and planned to stay there forever. The basement was dry and made a great office space. I loved that house.

Enter our son. Five years later, we were bursting at the seams. The attic was full, the detached garage was full, and my basement office had been taken over for out-of-season clothing storage. I couldn't work. We were bumping into each other and losing our tempers all the time.

We found a 2,500 sq. ft. house eight blocks away in perfect condition. Two-story brick with a large basement office (YAY!) and an attic that had been converted to a master suite. Four bedrooms (1 is tiny, used as hubby's study), 2.5 baths, 1 good-sized living area, traditional center hall plan. It seemed huge at first, but we've grown into it. It's perfect...large enough that each of us can have some privacy, which will become very important in a couple more years when our son is a teenager.

Once he moves out, we plan to sell this house and look for something on one level (with 3 staircases now, our knees will be shot by then!) with 2 bedrooms, 2 bath, low maintenance. Probably in the 1600-1800 sq. ft. range. Who knows? Maybe we'll go for a cottage in a senior living complex or even a highrise condo.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 06:39 pm
I would like to say to shewolf that freedom is very spacious in and of itself. I'm very excited for her. 800 square feet will be an emotional castle.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How BIG is yours?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 11:42:50